Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 10-15-2020, 05:20 AM

Default USB keyboard doesn't work w/ PT2020

Hi,

My computer recognizes my USM M-Audio Keyboard 49e (drivers ok), but I can not make it work In Pro Tools 2020 9.1. It worked normally before!

I have tried everything in Pro Tools, but nothing. This started when I updated PT.

Have You some advises to make it work?

Thank You for your replies.
lots of plugins
Old 10-15-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Re: USB keyboard doesn't work w/ PT2020

Go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and create a new "instrument". Name it whatever, skip the Brand and Model(not required) and set the Input Port for the connection(if the driver is installed, the Input Port should show up on the dropdown menu). This tells PT where to "look for" incoming midi data.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-15-2020, 03:30 PM

The above post doesn't work for me. Honestly, USB keyboards in Pro Tools for at least me have a mind of their own. They will just randomly stop working. The only thing that works for me is to delete preferences and restart the computer. I am yet to find a fix that doesn't require this.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaudio View Post
The above post doesn't work for me. Honestly, USB keyboards in Pro Tools for at least me have a mind of their own. They will just randomly stop working. The only thing that works for me is to delete preferences and restart the computer. I am yet to find a fix that doesn't require this.
Have you disabled Power Management on all USB ports(aka USB Root Hub in Device Manager)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Have you disabled Power Management on all USB ports(aka USB Root Hub in Device Manager)
Im on a mac.. Not sure this is possible?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:28 AM

Setup -> Midi -> Input Devices set up correctly? Midi filtering set up correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaudio View Post

This sounds like some instability in your USB peripherals chain. Perhaps another peripheral / hub causing issues? Even funky cables - normally functioning systems don't have this issue and it's not a PT bug.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-16-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Setup -> Midi -> Input Devices set up correctly? Midi filtering set up correctly?

This sounds like some instability in your USB peripherals chain. Perhaps another peripheral / hub causing issues? Even funky cables - normally functioning systems don't have this issue and it's not a PT bug.
Everything is setup correctly in PT (Midi -> input devices). I have zero issues with my controller in Logic and Reason which i also use regularly. The controller always works in these DAWs. Only in Pro Tools it randomly doesn't register. Fortunately, I really use PT for my job in game audio production, so it doesn't see controller use often. But its still an annoying thing i encounter from time to time.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post

I have done this. PT recognizes M-Audio midi device by name.

I have tried all my USB ports. I think maybe it my new UA Apollo that is causing this. Also Windows had a major update at the same time. The midi device works w/ the same cable in my other computer (ie. Reason) that I use for internet and daily work.

I have disabled Power Management on all USB ports(aka USB Root Hub in Device Manager).

I went back to PT2020.5. Still nothing. It used to work.

I really need the midi device!
lots of plugins
Old 10-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Is it possible you don't have the midi configured correctly in the track->instruments section? It should work if you have it set up. I'm on a Mac so you'll have to figure out where the device setup is run from. On a Mac we have Audi/MIDI Studio. Again I understand that the menus and wording are different between a Mac and PC, but the dialogs are there. I can only describe where the functions are at from the Mac point of view. If that is showing your devices then check in Setup->MIDI->Input Devices. Make sure your MIDI keyboard is checked. Then in Setup->Preferences->MIDI, make sure Default Thru Instrument is set to first selected MIDI track. This will let the keyboard control any virtual instruments on each track as they are selected. Then check if Options->MIDI Thru is checked. Then go to View->Mix Window Views and make sure Instruments is checked. This will bring up the MIDI input output routing for that track. There is a MIDI input selector, a MIDI output selector, a MIDI mute, a volume and pan control. Lastly, make sure the channel you want to control is selected. Again, the menu's and wording will be different, but the process and operation are what you need to do.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:32 PM

we ran into this a couple of months ago.
My friend is on an iMac and I am on a couple of different macs.
We both use HD Native and it was all working fine.
I was on PT 2018 and he "upgraded" to 2018.
Upon his upgrade, he could not get midi to work....
There was activity in PT, but no actual meter input. (When I sat "activity", when you hit a chord or note on keyboard, the chords would show up in the transport, but no input to track.)

I was using Teamviewer to access his machine to compare.
Mine was working fine....I was using USB midi controller.
He was using a midi interface and cables.
We went through all of the basics including 3 sets of cables, driver updates, etc.

We were both on High Sierra and then both upgraded to Mohave with no luck.

I had him trash his prefs and magically, he was able to record midi in the troubled session.
We though all was good, but it just stopped working again.
We were able to create a new session, create an instrument track, which worked, and then import all the tracks from the other session and midi was back....but the next day, no midi.

We chalked it up to being a midi interface, so he drove down from out of town and I gave him a USB keyboard.
We tested it on my identical machine and were confident.
He gets home, plugs in the USB keyboard, and it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

We went through just about all of the variables.
The intermittent aspect makes it really frustrating.