Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2016, 06:38 AM

Default S3 2 way communication question

When using layouts on the S3, does the DAW automatically reflect that on the screen, or do you have to use the matching config view setup to display the layout?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:58 PM

Default Re: S3 2 way communication question

Wow, 45 views by, presumably owners, and no one can answer this?

It's a legitimate concern. On the S6 & Sys. 5 you have the meter displays. Same goes for Nuage and Smart AV Tango. But on the Artist Series and the S3 all you get are those tiny windows, which become very tedious after a few hours. So, you tend to watch the DAW MORE to ease on eye strain.

The led readout next to the faders is a big improvement. But that's just one feature upgrade. They really should make the S3 expandable (2 in tandem mode) with optional meter bridges/displays.

But since they don't, will the DAW update with the layouts, or is that not possible?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:44 AM

I can only speak as a Cubase user but....

No, Cubase does not automatically reflect a layout change. What I do is have a template setup with layouts programmed and matching Visibility Configurations, both assigned to the same set of buttons on the S3. This means that when you select a layout, all the relevant tracks appear in Cubase to match the S3. Obviously there is more setup involved than if they just automatically matched but it works pretty well.

On a side note, if you are looking for that S6 type of visual feedback, you can scale the Cubase mixer width to match the S3 so all the channels on screen are aligned with the physical faders.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:13 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm using the same method you mentioned with my MC Control & Nuendo. That tip about matching the screen to the faders is very helpful. That means that you could build a sort of mini Nuage like setup.

If they ever allow S3 to work in tandem mode, so that one could build a 32 fader setup around a dock, I bet sales would skyrocket! Especially if you could place your screens directly behind each unit and match them as fader extensions, that would be too slick!