Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Default PT 9 and small devices... FAQs

wondering a few FAQ i just cant find it easily.. (long time PT user just getting in da PT9 fever)

will PT9 work with maudio lightbridge and if so can i use all channels?

if it doesn't use more than 32 then i need PTHD9 right?

i have PTHD2 cards (PCIX) will i have upgrade options to buy PTHD9?
(very stupid one: PTHD9 can use any hardware right? )

and a weird one: can i use PTHD9 on a mac mini with the lightbridge?

PTHD9 has input monitoring for live inputs (duh) and the latency is not too bad right?

i dont need to mix big projects. i need PT to be a dub computer for my filmscore setup which now has a huge G5 2.5ghzx2 PCIX thats very heavy and emits a lot of heat. all the juice comes from the PTHD2 cards but if im not using soo many tracks and just stock plugins im thinking of going on to the aforementioned setup.. or with an old imac.
but i keep reading that PTHD is better but it seems that the folks using it are doing very large projects on it. which i dont need as i do everything on my macpro 8 core logic pro and a slave pc i7 with 24gb of ram.

so even though the g5 PTHD2 looks impressive and pro , its very uncomfortable so im looking into options. but it needs to be PT with TC for compatibility. and not be using PT on my macpro.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Default Re: PT 9 and small devices... FAQs

I think people have had problems with the lightbridge, because it was discontinued and the drivers have not been updated in quite a while, so I'm not sure if that's an option if you're looking for something reliable and stable.

As for the HD 9 software, you can use it with any hardware, and it will function just like "regular" PT9 with the Complete Toolkit. This will have all the features of the HD software minus the HD hardware specific features. Unfortunately, that includes input monitoring, which will not be available when you're not using HD cards and interfaces.

Is there a specific reason you don't want to use PT on your Mac Pro?

Because I think the best option for you would be the new HD Native system.

Since you own a core card, you would qualify for the trade up deal. You'd trade in the core card and get the HD Native card and PT HD9 software for $1595.

You could use that in the Mac Pro, with your existing HD interfaces, and have more mixing power than before. You could then sell the remaining PCIx card(s) and offset your costs a little.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Re: PT 9 and small devices... FAQs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I think people have had problems with the lightbridge, because it was discontinued and the drivers have not been updated in quite a while, so I'm not sure if that's an option if you're looking for something reliable and stable.

As for the HD 9 software, you can use it with any hardware, and it will function just like "regular" PT9 with the Complete Toolkit. This will have all the features of the HD software minus the HD hardware specific features. Unfortunately, that includes input monitoring, which will not be available when you're not using HD cards and interfaces.

Is there a specific reason you don't want to use PT on your Mac Pro?

Because I think the best option for you would be the new HD Native system.

Since you own a core card, you would qualify for the trade up deal. You'd trade in the core card and get the HD Native card and PT HD9 software for $1595.

You could use that in the Mac Pro, with your existing HD interfaces, and have more mixing power than before. You could then sell the remaining PCIx card(s) and offset your costs a little.
thx! good info.
too bad about the lightbridge and input monitoring.

my main DAW is not pro tools. its logic which i use in the mac pro and send the stems or some tracks to it via adat for mixdown, delivery, and video host (logic cant open QT in 64 bit... stupid apple!!)
so PT is slaved to logic. 2 different macs.

i feel i would be loosing if i do the upgrade. the hd cards have dsp chips and horsepower and now the native seems like.. i dunno ,. an expensive sounblaster card to be able to connect to my 192D.
i dont see the value added on the native cards. i rather buy a MADI interface from SSL or RME and get a lot more tracks.

oh well, i guess the above has been discuss to death on other threads.

i was wondering if anyone was using some crazy setup with a mac mini or imac with pt9 and they like more than an old old g5 pcix pthd system.
kinda wondering how these new macs with pt9 compare to hd2 pt7.