Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Default ASIO not working anymore

A few days ago I noticed that the ASIO driver for my MBox-2 does not work anymore, the MBox works find in Pro Tool but whenever I try to use a stand-alone program (e.g Reason adapted) it inevitably crashes (I've tried several different programs).
I haven't actually changed anything lately EXCEPT installing IE8; although as far as I can tell this is only know to cause problems with PT, not the standalone driver(?)

I've tried all the "obvious" things: reinstalling PT/driver, de-activating other drivers, selective start with just the bare minimum of services running etc, but no luck.

This is from the application error log (when trying to start Reason Adapted)

Faulting application Reason Adapted for Digidesign.exe, version 3.0.4.4096, time stamp 0x430b0951, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6001.18215, time stamp 0x49953395, exception code 0xe06d7363, fault offset 0x000442eb, process id 0x13e0, application start time 0x01c9c77ef19c035d.

Can anyone else think of something else worth trying?
Is there some way I can check that all the registry entries etc for the driver are OK and that all the files are where they should be?
I can't seem to find a "reference" anywhere.

I'm running PT8 LE on 32-bit Vista

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Default Re: ASIO not working anymore

I think you might be in slightly uncharted territory here with I.E.8 and the ASIO driver.
You may need to go back to I.E.7 to know if that is the issue.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 PM

IE 8 will totally mess up your ProTools installation. Best place to start is un-install IE8.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 PM

I finally got it working.

This is what I did:

*Uninstalled IE8: no change.
*Uninstalled PT8 (again), first using PTnuke and then uninstall using the add/remove menu(removeing EVERYTHING) and re-booted, then I ran the "uninstall" from the IE8 setup files which -somewhat surprisingly- ALSO uninstalled something (which, btw, sort of indictates that there is something wrong with the PT8 installer).

*Then i installed PT8 on a new drive (the system partition this time, before it was on another partition that I use for apps such as PT; makes it easier to defrag). After re-booting I get the error message regarding "windows register server" and PACE. ASIO still does not work and now PT crashes when I try to start it.

*Downloaded and installed new PACE drivers, no change; PT8 crashes when I try to start it.
*I double checked the computer-properties-Advanced setting-Advanced-Performance settings-Data Execution Prevention Setting.
PT8 was in the exception list but I nevertheless changed it to "turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only".
*Then I ran the "repair previous installation" of PT8
*Rebooted
And then everything started working

Both PT8 and ASIO are now working again...

If I were to guess I would say the problem was the "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP) setting all along (meaning the uninstall/install procedure was unnecessary), although I have no idea why that would prevent ASIO from working (especially since it WAS working before).

My guess would be that some recent update -maybe IE8- to Windows changed something in such a way that DEP now need to be turned off in order for ASIO to work (I haven't dared try turning it on again).
Although that can't really explain why PT was working BEFORE I did the "complete" uninstall and moved it to a new drive but not afterwards

Anyway, I guess to conclusion is that if someone else is having a problem with ASIO he/she should check the DEP setting before trying anything else.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 AM

Brilliant. I had all the same problems and now they're all fixed.

Thank you Tobias, you are a lifesaver.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 PM

Cool Re: ASIO not working anymore

I'm experiencing the same problem. Do I need to completely disable DEP or just add Sonar to the list of exceptions?
~William P. Merrill