Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 PM

Default sending session files

How do you send a session file. I started the track in alabama, friend will complete it in California. I know how to send the music as an mp3 file. Help? Go easy on me I don't have my boiok with me, and I have searched the files.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: sending session files

you send the session file itself, along with the audiofiles. There is a folder called "audio files" in the same folder as the session itself is. Those together are the complete session. It is smart though to first remove all unused files, and maybe "compact selected" some files if you only use small bits from it. Best thing to do is to make a complete copy of the session (that includes the audiofolder!!!), remove unused playlists, select unused audio/files, and delete it (gone forever). That action alone usualy reduces everything pretty much.

Or,

Consolidate each track, select all tracks, and do an export selected as waveforms. Then send those files, along with your session file (the .pts file). Using this method you could change the audiofiles into mp3 or wmp lossless compression, flack or whatever audiocompressionformat you like. I would advice you though that (if it should remain one song) you declare one system the mastersystem. And then to add some tracks you could send for example 192kbit mp3files of a rough mix for him to work on, and then he has to send the uncompressed files he recorded back to you.

Bastiaan
Old 09-14-2005, 12:15 PM

To understand correctly, do I just attach the file with email and send it that way. Send the whole pro tools document, audio and session files- I got that part. Is there anything different since I have pro tools for windows, and he's using a mac system.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:02 PM

hitwriter:
Assuming you have checked the "Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility" box in your session setup, it should work. If you haven't got it checked on your current session, Save As to a session with that checked. If you're both working on the same hardware + software version, no sweat. If, like my partner and I, you are working cross-platform AND cross-hardware (he's on a Powerbook + 002R, I'm on a PC + MBox), expect some cocking around with permissions on each exchange. It's an annoyance, not a showstopper.

You'll be able to e-mail as an attachment (I guess) if the size of the parcel is small enough that your e-mail account won't bounce it.

Alternative 1: burn a CD or DVD and ship it.
Alternative 2: find someone who will allow you access to their DigiDelivery account. It's very cool for this kind of thing. Neither you nor the receiver have to be co-located near the DD account holder, just to have permission.
Alternative 3: ftp site.

Best,
Bob
Old 09-14-2005, 01:12 PM

hitwriter,
Tidy up the session as Bastiaan suggested. Save the "original" for yourself !!
Zip archive the entire session folder and upload it to : this free site >>

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-14-2005, 01:25 PM

from my experience FedEx is still faster than the internet when it comes to shipping an entire session. I frequently have people send me MP3's, I lay down drums, send them an MP3 back for listening, but when its done I have to put it on a CD or DVD. 10 or more drum tracks at 24bit/48KHz easily exceeds 500MB. Even if you have that super fast connection, it doesn't mean your buddy does and then there is the fact that FTP and HTTP are not reliable so you need to zip at a minimum (unzipping will tell you if the file is good) or do some kind of checksum (MD5, etc) to ensure the file is not corrupted. Good luck!
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com