Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Default Midas M32

The short version:

The Midas M32 console seems to come standard with a Klark-Teknik DN32 USB card. When configured in the console, the card can provide pre-fade direct outputs for each of the 32 input channels. When connected to my 2008 MacBook Pro running 10.8.5 and Pro Tools 11.3 the Playback Engine DN32-USB becomes available to Pro Tools allowing recording of all 32 input channels via USB 2.0.

I find this awesome.

The longer version:

A friend asked me to record tracks for a showcase he was producing in Hollywood over the weekend. I have a small system I use for jobs like this with an RME Fireface and a rack with 24 preamps in it. By combining the preamps on the Fireface and the externals, I can record 26 mic inputs. He said 26 inputs would be fine, I was a little unsure. I got there, talked to the engineer who was running the audio side, and found out that sure enough the input count had now reached 31. I didn't want to throw inputs away, so I foomfered around on the web researching the Midas M32 they were using for FOH trying to figure out if there was a way around this. The monitor guy heard what I was doing and said, "Yeah, there's a USB out on the back panel you can get all 32 channels from." I said I thought that was a stereo-only thing, and he said, no, the USB port on the front panel was stereo only. So I hooked up my elderly MacBook Pro to the rear USB port and started Pro Tools. Imagine my amazement when under Playback Engine an option for DN32-USB showed up. I built a new session, populated the tracks, record-enabled all of them, and shazam, there it all was.

The only thing we don't have is a set of audience tracks, but I can fake that together from stuff I have. Just before the show I thought about building an Aggregate interface to add a few audience mics, but with 32 inputs from the stage happily in record I decided not to mess with it. The tracks sound fine, no complaints at all about the quality of the Midas preamps.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Midas M32

Great to hear, and much as I expect from a great little console. i recently added a Midas XL48(8 channel preamp) as a second lightpipe source on my second HD IO's ADAT input and find it to sound great(better on drums than some of my lunchbox "boutique" preamps) If I had not gotten a great deal on my HDN system, the M32 would have been my likely choice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2015, 05:58 PM

32 I / 32 O plus control surface functionality, on-board effects, expansion slot, iOS/Android/laptop remote control, etc... Looking good for $5k. Also integrates with P16 personal mixers, and the M32 has talkback and a dedicated mon section on the face.

Very cool! It's what the QU32 should have been.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Has any tried using the m32 as a protools interface, will the outputs work as well, via the USB? headphones? Im looking ate getting the m32r as a live console as well as protools interface

THanks!!
OSX 10.12.2
UA Apollo Quad Firewire
Lots of UA and Waves plugins
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Old 04-12-2015, 02:13 PM

I have yet to use the M32 for recording, but as a live console, it beats everything in its price range(and more). It sounds much better than the Yamaha M7 or LS9, and is way less $ than either(as well as the other digital options from Yamaha). I really like the look over its brother(Behringer X32) and the preamps and faders are a step up. As for Pro Tools control features, it works well(according to a friend that has one), but the HUI functionality is limited to the master section of buttons and those 8 faders.

BTW, My first outing with the M32 was using it with a pair of their 16x8 stage boxes and a CAT5 snake. Configuration was a bit non-intuitive so I was forced to phone for tech support, which was easy to reach and guided me thru in no time at all. Good tech support is tough to put a price on

Old 04-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I was forced to phone for tech support, which was easy to reach and guided me thru in no time at all. Good tech support is tough to put a price on
How much time is no time at all? If they got you up an running with a single call in less than 30 minutes, that's a great endorsement - that's "day of the show" turnaround.

I'm not a fan of the control layout for channel processing, I much prefer the Yamaha way of doing channel editing, I really didn't expect to say that about this console
Old 04-12-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
How much time is no time at all? If they got you up an running with a single call in less than 30 minutes, that's a great endorsement - that's "day of the show" turnaround.

I'm not a fan of the control layout for channel processing, I much prefer the Yamaha way of doing channel editing, I really didn't expect to say that about this console
Shocking!. IN any case, having worked on all the Yamaha stuff for years, I had no trouble getting around the M32(but I do agree that Yamaha has done a great job with the "hands-on" part). I augment the M32 with an iPad so that I can have extra "stuff" easily reached for. As to the support phone call, it was more like 8-10 minutes. I actually made 2 separate calls for 2 separate setup issues, and both calls were handled in no more than 8-10 minutes. It was all because of the configuration for the remote stage box setup. First time, I could not get the first remote to connect(operator error). Second call was because the commands to connect the second stage box were a tad non-intuitive. I have never had a support call handled faster or smoother(and no, I have no relationship to Midas or Behringer)

Old 04-12-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As to the support phone call, it was more like 8-10 minutes.
Unprecedented. Absolutely rare Good job, Midas. It seems Greek mythology is correct - Midas will give you the touch of gold.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Hi All:
As I think this is a PT question more than a Midas M32 question, I thought I'd post it here first to see if any of you good folks can help.

I wanted to use the 32 channel USB record option on the M32 to record to Pro Tools at a gig recently. As the only laptop I had available was a Windows machine (Dell) running Windows 7 (I am a Mac guy in my studio) I loaded PT 10.3 to the laptop and used my iLok to authorize PT. 2 issues came up: 1) when i plugged the USB cable into the PC I got a message saying the drivers could not be found. I checked the Klark-Technik site but couldn't find any drivers for the DN32 USB card to load to the PC. One note: The M32 and PC were already up and running when I plugged in the USB cable from the M32 to the PC. 2) When ProTools started up I got a message saying no interface was attached with no way to specify the M32/DN32 USB.

Any thoughts and or help on this would be most appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Things Audio View Post
when i plugged the USB cable into the PC I got a message saying the drivers could not be found. I checked the Klark-Technik site but couldn't find any drivers for the DN32 USB card to load to the PC.

2) When ProTools started up I got a message saying no interface was attached with no way to specify the M32/DN32 USB.
it has to have drivers....I hooked up the X32 the same way....X32 drivers on the Behringer's site. then I also loaded ASIO.....

The fact that the M32 was running, was no biggie. The fact that you didn't have drivers was probably more of the problem. You should be able to change the playback engine on PT startup. But if windows is not seeing it correctly it won't show up in PT.

What did/does the device manager say about the interface? That's where your going to need to go to double check functionality.......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.