Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Default No sound out of MBox Pro

I have an MBox Pro with Pro Tools 11 and a Macbook Air. When I plugged my Mbox into my studio monitors with the microphone plugged in everything works fine and sound comes out of the speakers when I talk into the microphone. But the minute I plug my Mbox into my computer, the sound from the speakers shuts off and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. I feel like I've tried pretty much everything from other threads I've read with people having similar problems. The microphone is working because the bar lights up on the interface when i talk into it and it detects sound, so I know that works, its just that no sound comes out of my monitors. All of my equipment is new and recently purchased, so it shouldn't be that something needs replacing. If anyone could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Default Re: No sound out of MBox Pro

What are you actually trying to do? the Mbox is not intended to be a PA, all that is happening when stand-alone is you are hearing the mic via the internal mixer/hardware monitor. You should have the correct driver (and bundled mixer control program) installed on your computer. You need to follow the appropriate MBox install documentation and documentation for installing Pro Tools . Are you actually starting and running Pro Tools 11 or just connecting the Mbox Pro (BTW do *not* hot plug that interface)? Common mistakes with getting started include not having the Mbox selected as the playback engine (setup>playback engine), not creating the correct type of track (should be a mono audio track) and not record arming that track if trying to record, or having track monitoring in the wrong mode (under the track menu, toggle between input only and auto input). You really need to follow a beginners tutorial/use a demo session/documentation when getting started with Pro Tools, it is to complex to just stumble around trying to work out how to use it.

If you have more questions you need to provide much more info about your system/setup. Start at the "help us help you, read this before posting..." Link near the top of each DUC web page. Info needs to include what generation Mbox Pro, what driver version, exact Pro Tools version, OS version, computer description, etc. and a Sandra report if a PC, what mic is plugged into where, and a very clear description of what you are trying to do.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:21 PM

I know that no sound is supposed to come out of the MBox. I mean that no sound is coming out of my studio monitors. I have the studio monitors plugged into the back of the MBox and sound comes out fine when I use the microphone until I plug the interface into my laptop via firewire plug. I have a bluebird microphone plugged into input one in the front of my Mbox and the microphone and studio monitors work just fine when i first turn on my Mbox and my studio monitors. The problem is after I plug the firewire plug into my laptop. I have two plugs and tried both, but the sound in my studio monitors shuts off immediately when I plug it into the computer. The monitors are still on, but no sound is coming out of them when I try to use the microphone. The MBox is selected as the playback engine, I tried to do a mono track, and i've set up the input and output using a guide.

I have MBox Pro 3, Driver version 1.3.2, Pro Tools 11.2.2, OS X Version 10.8.5, and my computer is a Macbook Air.

Sorry if I'm not being specific enough, I tried to describe the problem with as much detail as I could.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:22 PM

I guess I must have confused you with the title of the post, my bad, poor choice of wording on my part.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly_297 View Post
I guess I must have confused you with the title of the post, my bad, I couldn't think of how else to phrase it.
No I understand that uh the sound comes out the speakers. What I was trying to find out is are you expecting the Mbox to act as some sort of live mixer or are you actually trying to use it as an audio recording interface? You normally do not just connect an audio interface to a computer and start talking/singing into the Mic and expect it do anything interesting. Is Pro Tools 11 running? Is the Mbox Pro selected as the playback engine in Pro Tools? Do you have an audio track in the Pro Tools session? If you are trying to record is that track record armed, assigned to the correct mic input etc? What is Track>Input Only/Auto Input Monitoring set to? (try toggling it).

Does _basic_ playback even work? Have you tried creating a stereo audio track in an empty session and drag any old iTunes music file onto that track.. then click the play button on the transport control. Do you hear anything? Do meters move in Pro Tools?

What setup/getting started documentation are you following?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:42 PM

Yeah I use it as an audio recording interface and yeah I had pro tools opened too. I just don't understand why the mbox stops working when I plug it into my laptop. The blue power light starts flashing and the speaker light goes from red to green on the mbox. I tap the microphone to see if any sound comes and it no longer does once the mbox and my laptop are connected. I haven't recorded anything in pro tools yet because I can't get any sound to come out my speakers and I need to hear what I record played back. I've heard of people having problems with the blue power light flashing but most peoples problems were that they needed to update or get a new plug but all my software and hardware is new.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:12 PM

Default No sound out of MBox Pro

Please stop floundering around and follow some getting started instructions/tutorial on Pro Tools. As far as I can guess your interface is working as expected, I am suspecting you are failing to use Pro Tools correctly/at all.

I already gave you suggestions where to start.... getting a stereo audio track containing any old pre recorded audio to just playback for starters.

And what you are hearing when the Mbox Pro is not connected to a host computer is just the internal mixer/monitoring hardware in stand-alone mode--that internal mixer/hardware monitor has nothing directly to do with the Mbox being an interface or not. When you connect it to the host that internal mixer/monitoring hardware gets controlled by the Avid Driver Control Panel utility included in the driver bundle. Ignore all this crap until you get Pro Tools working at all with the interface as a basic interface. Then read about the Driver Control panel and hardware monitoring in the Mbox Pro User Guide.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-26-2015 at 05:20 PM.