Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Mbox Pro and Yosemite?

So I just downloaded the most recent Yosemite OSX beta, hoping that my Mbox would continue working as normal. Unfortunately, no such luck. My Mbox Pro 3 is not detected at all by the computer. No signs of life in the Audio Midi Setup or Mbox app. Most recent patch is installed. Anyone have any experience with this software yet?
Mbox 3 Pro - Pro Tools 2018.1.0
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 with Yosemite?

I'm not sure how different Yosemite is from Mavericks, but I don't think Avid has done any changes to the drivers for each update to Mavericks - just tested and qualified the drivers for use. I do see that your sig has PT 8, which is definitely not supported with Mavericks or Yosemite, only PT 11 is qualified with Mavericks, not sure if that might have something to do with your problems. Also, there have been issues with Core 2 based Mac's which likely wont help either.

Either way, I'd hold off on any upgrades until Avid qualifies Yosemite.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 10-01-2014, 02:01 PM

I just gave that article a read again, I remember seeing it a while back. My Mac is the 2009 model probably being affected. I had no sound when I tried upgrading to Mavericks last year, been on 10.8 ever since. At least Mavericks detected the mbox, but that was also when I owned a USB mbox 2 as opposed to my mbox 3 pro FW. Hopefully Avid will come up with a fix for this when Yosemite gets a stable release?
Mbox 3 Pro - Pro Tools 2018.1.0
Old 10-17-2014, 02:19 PM

I've just upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5 to the Yosemite 10.10.0. official release.

I can confirm the MBox 2 legacy drivers (both ver 10.3.3 and 10.3.9) do not work. I've tried reinstalling them, and doing a thorough manual cleanup of driver files, kexts, etc. then reinstalling again, rebooting, etc. Nothing will make it budge.

I have an MBox 2 mini and it does not show up at all as an audio device. In the "Digidesign MBox 2" system preferences applet, it says "Unable to connect to MBox 2."
Old 10-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchetect View Post
I've just upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5 to the Yosemite 10.10.0. official release.

I can confirm the MBox 2 legacy drivers (both ver 10.3.3 and 10.3.9) do not work.

I have an MBox 2 mini and it does not show up at all as an audio device. In the "Digidesign MBox 2" system preferences applet, it says "Unable to connect to MBox 2."
What exact model/date code/CPU Mac do you have. it will just help to keep really clear if folks could have say CPU model related issues or not.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:15 PM

I too went through testing both the 10.3.3 and 10.3.9 drivers with my Mbox 2 Mini, and did all the ritual sacrifices of manual deletion, etc, and the MBox 2 Mini is just sitting there - the green light won't come on. The system seems to know it's there as it shows up in the system report (System Information) on the USB chain. Connected directly to the computer. From System Information:

Mbox 2:

Product ID: 0x3000
Vendor ID: 0x0dba
Version: 1.43
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Digidesign
Location ID: 0x14100000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

This is on a Mac Mini Late 2012 model, 2.3Ghz Core i7 (quad core), with Yosemite 10.10 final.

I always get over-eager and jump to the new versions too quickly (but I never ran the public betas so I don't know if the MBox 2 Mini would have worked under those configurations).
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchetect View Post

I can confirm the MBox 2 legacy drivers (both ver 10.3.3 and 10.3.9) do not work. I've tried reinstalling them, and doing a thorough manual cleanup of driver files, kexts, etc. then reinstalling again, rebooting, etc. Nothing will make it budge.

I have upgraded from Mavericks to Yosimite this morning too and had the same problem using my Mbox Pro 3 (Firewire).
The drivers I downloaded don´t work.
Avid hasn´t released yet drivers to fix that problem... so strange.
please tell me if you can fix it!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Hi all!

After days of frustration I found a solution that might help some people.

Problem:

I recently installed Yosemite 10.10.1. on my 21.5-inch mid 2010 IMac.

I have an mbox mini (3rd generation) and Pro tools 11 (not hd or hdx).

After a clean install of PT 11, I could not make PT play through the mbox, although I could play music or movies with vlc or quicktime etc, and it was appearing in my sound preferences.

Every time I was opening Pro Tools, I was getting the message "Could not create a new document beacause Assertion in "/........./", line 1549" and would not open a new session. This message had to do with the playback engine. So I set the playback engine (setup-> playback engine) on built in audio, opened a new session and tried to change it back to avid mbox mini. I got the "Current Playback Engine does not support sample rate...." error message and it either crushed the session or restarted it with the built in audio as a playback engine. This drove me nuts for days. There is no avid mbox mini update for yosemite, but by experimenting and reading a few things I made it work. Here is how.

Solution:

1) unplug Mbox

2) Uninstall all the Mbox drivers that you have. If the uninstaller gives you an error message do it manually. Instructions here . Also delete it from the applications, and look through your library and system/library for any extra files with the word mbox.

3) Download and install pacifist (free).

4) Download here the version 1.2 and the initial release.

5) Open the version 1.2 with pacifist. click on the dropdown menu of the .pkg and manually put all the folders in the right place (drag and drop). If you cannot find the right place, right click on the file or folder and choose "install in default location". Close pacifist.

6) Open the initial version pkg with pacifist. click on the dropdown menu of the .pkg. Now move ONLY the files that do not already exist in your mac in the correct place (drag and drop). Again, if you cannot find the right place, right click on the file or folder and choose "install in default location". Close pacifist.

7) Restart mac.

8) Plug in mbox

9) Go to Applications/utilities/audio midi setup

10) Select Pro Tools Agreegate. Right click and select "use this device for input" and "use this device for output". Under use and drift correction tick only the boxes of built in mic and Avid Mbox mini (or the input of your preference). Set the clock on Mbox mini and the sample rate at 48KHz (or your preference)

11) Open PT 11, go to Set up and set the playback engine on Pro Tools Agreegate!

Thats it, now pro tools 11 is using mbox mini on yosemite 10.10.1.

If you click on the MBox app it still looks like it not connected with a sample rate of 44.1KHz but since it works I'm happy. Share this if you find it useful.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Kooust,

I can't believe and I can't thank you enough - I followed all your steps and VOILA: it actually works. I've spent almost 2 weeks searching for any kind of solutions, hundreds of installs and uninstalls and restarts and what have you's until I found your posting.

Thank you so much !!!!!

update, a few hours later: yes, it does still work - there's some hiccups, every now and then, especially when I import audio files into a project I get funky distortion and have to close and open PT to get rid of it. Also, the Mbox app doesn't seem to work....at least so for. Nevertheless, much better than 'nothing works' :)

Last edited by keenast; 01-03-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 AM

Hey Keenast,

I'm glad it somehow worked for you also. I know, its not perfect but as you said, better than 'nothing works'.

I also get this funky distortion every now and then, which is quite annoying. I think though, that this might be due to my low ram (4GB). When I get it, I usually go to Setup->Playback Engine, change the H/W Buffer size a few times and it usually works without having to restart PT.

Now about the app I have absolutely no idea how to fix it. If you ever find something please post it here though :).

Cheers!