Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-26-2015, 12:17 PM

Default MBox Mini just up and quit working. "Hardware not connected"

Hi everyone. New forum member here. I'm hoping some of you tech savvy regulars can chime in and help a fella out with this problem.

Yesterday I was working on music, then took a break to take my dog for a walk. When I came back into the studio, my computer was no longer playing sound out of my monitors, but rather from the computer's speakers. My MBox Mini (3rd Gen) was no longer being recognized by the computer, and so the computer is now routing all audio through the internal computer outputs. Even when I made sure that my output sound was set to "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O". ProTools still works, it just plays through internal speakers now. No clue why this problem started, I swear I didn't touch or do anything... just opened up the project that I'd been working on not more than 30 minutes earlier, and son-of-a-gun... the MBox Mini no longer worked.

The MBox Mini is powered (all the LED lights are on), but the computer is saying "Hardware Not Connected".

One more funny thing... when I restart my computer - which I've done about a million times in the past day - during the power-up process, I can hear a heartbeat-like sound coming from the speakers, and I can see the LED lights pulse with some strange surge of power. This lasts about 10 seconds until it stops.

I've tried about a million things to get this figured out (more detail below), but haven't found a fix yet. Can anybody help?

Here's what I've tried:
1) Installing MBox Mini drivers (1.3.0, then 1.2.0) and uninstalling them. Then reinstalling again.
2) Installing most recent ProTools 11 drivers.
3) Changing cables.
4) Changing USB ports.
5) Reseting the computer's P-RAM.
6) Have Googled this problem extensively (and searched these forums). I've found numerous cases just like this, but no solutions/answers to the problem.
7) Called Avid support, got stuck on the support code. Almost bought a support code, but didn't know which one to buy.

Here's what I'm using:
iMac 27", OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks)
ProTools 11 (version 11.1.3), MBox Mini 3rd Gen

I'm not really a tech-savvy person, and so I don't tweak default parameters on the computer or any program that I install. Whatever sets up via default is what I typically end up using.

Is my MBox Mini just possessed? Did it just die? Can it be fixed? Or should I just start shopping for a new interface? Whatever the case, I need to get up and running very quickly, as I'm a professional cue composer for TV shows, and every day that I can't work costs me money.

Thanks in advance,

~~Matt
www.vanderboegh.com

Last edited by vanderboegh; 01-26-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:03 PM

Default Re: MBox Mini just up and quit working. "Hardware not connected"

Well, after spending waaaay too much time searching the web and all of these tech forums for an answer that doesn't seem to exist, I've came to the same conclusion that many other MBox Mini users have also come to... The MBox Mini 3rd Generation is a buggy unit, prone to randomly self-destructing.

My advice for anyone looking for a rather inexpensive interface - steer very clear from this model! If you have stumbled upon this thread by searching something like "MBox Mini lights up but says Hardware Not Connected", then I feel your pain. Save the time and energy trying to fix it, and just realize that you're probably dealing with a dead piece of hardware that looks like it's alive.

I just picked up a Steinberg UR22 from Guitar Center. At only $150, it gets me through in a pinch so I can get back to work.

~~Matt
www.vanderboegh.com
Old 01-29-2015, 10:49 AM

That's probably a hardware issue. Send it back if it's still under warranty or not, and givem hell. lol..

mbox mini win7
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 PM

Or move up and grab my mint 003 controller for a nice price......

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave