Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2003, 06:53 PM

Default poor mans studio

Heres my poor mans studio equiptment list of things I need to be content.The monitors and Amplitube are first this week!I already have sampletank and I am primarily a guitar player.
I have a carvin strat style guitar and a heritage les paul style guitar and no acoustic.
I have a sm 57 and a carvin condensor (unidirectional) and a electro coice ND 468 dynamic mic
Any opinions are welcome.

Stuff I need for my studio and guitars.

Condensor mic (Rode nt 1a 150.00)Maybe ntk 500.00

Monitors 299.00 (M audio spv 5b powered )I know I will get opinions on these but I dont want to spend more then that for now and I was Impressed at G.C. with them.All I have now are 20.00 crappers.

2nd hard drive (I am not looking forward to gettin that going. I will backup everything to dvd before I go down that road.

Ampltiube 299.00 (I love the demo )I have the j station and will be keeping that

Art mic preamp dio stereo 259.00 I know its not apogee but my thing is budget and these will bypass the pres in the carvin and hopefully warm up my guitars and mixes in general.

Acoustic guitar 500.00-700.00

mandolin Maybe even one of those 200.00 fenders
nylon string. I love the sound and feel and havent had one for years.

12 string Maybe carvin will make a 12 cobalt.

flatscreen monitor I always wanted one and this will absolutely be last
Old 01-04-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Re: poor mans studio

i think thats one hell of a list.

and who cares if people throw thier opinions at you, you gotta do what YOU want to make YOUR music sound YOUR way.

i think it was your song i heared the other day "9daze4"? it was great and if you get some more gear i am sure you will make song even better than that.

good luck man [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 07:49 PM

Stuff I need for my studio and guitars.

Condensor mic (Rode nt 1a 150.00)
thats a fine mic for the price

Monitors 299.00 (M audio spv 5b powered )I know I will get opinions on these but I dont want to spend more then that for now and I was Impressed at G.C. with them.
If you already heard them and liked em, get em

2nd hard drive (I am not looking forward to gettin that going. I will backup everything to dvd before I go down that road.
the second drive will help your computer performance- system on 1 audio on 2

Ampltiube 299.00 (I love the demo )I have the j station and will be keeping that
cool

Art mic preamp dio stereo 259.00 I know its not apogee but my thing is budget and these will bypass the pres in the carvin and hopefully warm up my guitars and mixes in general.
I would spend a bit more here and grab the FMR 2 ch. RNP ($450.00)or Apex 207 stereo tube pre with built in Limiters ($499.00) and let the 001 convert it, as I dont believe the arts d/a converters are any better than the 001. put the money into the mic pre. then get the great apogee, lucid later on down the road.

Acoustic guitar 500.00-700.00
friend bought a real nice Martin new for ($515.00) sounds great!

mandolin Maybe even one of those 200.00 fenders
nylon string. I love the sound and feel and havent had one for years.
Cool

12 string Maybe carvin will make a 12 cobalt.
cool

flatscreen monitor I always wanted one and this will absolutely be last[/QB][/QUOTE]
put the money for this twards the better mic pre. flatscreen is an overkill luxery, wont help recording a bit!

I would suggest that if you cant afford to help yourself with the better mic pre, than just grab 2 ART tube mp ($79.00) each. these will warm up things a bit due to there tubes, as I dont think the art DI/O will be much better than the 001's pre's.

I think your doin the right thing as we will just offer opinions that aren't relevant to your life. at least you'll be up and running.

good luck
Old 01-04-2003, 08:08 PM

Hey, Did you listen to the Behringer Truth monitors by chance? I did the other day and was floored at how close they sounded to the Mackie HR824s while A/Bing them...They are powered and in the same price range...I believe they quoted me $350 if I remember right...They seemed a little more brittle in the highs compared to the $1150 Mackies but I couldn't hear an $800 difference...If I had lot's money and could afford the Mackies it would be the obvious choice but on a budget the Truth monitors wins hands down...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neatguys:
[QB]
Monitors 299.00 (M audio spv 5b powered )I know I will get opinions on these but I dont want to spend more then that for now and I was Impressed at G.C. with them.All I have now are 20.00 crappers.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:56 AM

I have to say it....I don't want to be the negative one but I guess I must. Don't buy Truth Monitors, yes they are cheaper and yes the soundg ok at first, but there is a reason they are cheaper, they don't sound as good and they WILL NOT LAST. I've had mine for under 8 months and have already had the woofer in my right box go out twice, my left one works fine at this point so I'm sure it's nothing I'm doing. Plus I've never had the limiter lights come on or anything. When I've sent them back to be replaced it took a long time and they didn't match the new driver to the old one. What a ***** company. I'll never buy anything else from then, I can not say enough bad things about behringer, and I used to believe there stuff was ok and it is at first, but after a few months you'll realize why it's so in expensive.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:58 AM

wow, that was honest......so capt. aren't you running a behringer mixer? hows that not working for ya? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 01:39 PM

I know they are built in China to keep the price down but had no idea they were so troublesome...I wonder if others have had the same bad luck as you or if it is in fact just shotty parts...I had the 24 channel 8 bus they made, MX8000 I think, and absolutely loved the sound and it was well made...I never had a problem with it and I sold it to a friend that is still using to this day with who knows how many hours on it...
Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 PM

Thanks biOforce 1. I cant wait to listen to my mixes through something better then my 20.00 special.I have had these for a year now. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Bloux you are way right about the monitor.It doesnt affect my sound which is my first priority!You got me rethinking the mic pres.

Moonmusic if G.C. has the behrengers I will at least give them a listen.Its gonna kill me to buy those m-audios before my acoustic but I really need monitors this week.

Thanks for all the tips and opinions.
I am also debating amplitube. Extremly versatile though.I should experiment with it more and see how it holds up in mixes.Please let me know about your experiences with amplitube because I am getting the monitors and amplitube this week.
I just have the demo and that noise gets to me after awhile. Did I mention the line 6 rack delay with all kinds of cool bpm stuff.Do I have an equiptment jones or what
A cool amplitube upgrade would be a bpm delay or at least give us the milliseconds in a display for cool bpm effects stuff.IK Jason are you listening?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2003, 06:36 PM

I've had a behringer 16ch mixer for over 2 years.. I use the pres on it for drums and it sounds okay, and hasn't failed in any aspect yet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But don't buy the monitors [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 05:22 AM

Hey check out the yamaha MSP3 Monitors, same price as the M-audio....and I think they sound a little bit better,i was on the fence with M-audio but went with the yamaha they have a nice true sound to them, they ahve been a pleasure to mix with...check'em out....

Herb

Videoguys.com