Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2020, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Worst Dark Mode Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
This is not working here. Does this work for you on Win10? All of my other apps have black bars on top except for Pro Tools. Every single plugin window has a white bar on top.
If you scroll all the way down in the color options and tick on "Title bars and windows borders" the top of PT & your plugins will be the color you choose from the spectrum box above.
Sometimes the PT border goes light but if you click on it resumes color.
Also, detick "Automatically choose an accent color".

Only the menu bar remains light which isn't too bad.

Last edited by take77; 11-17-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:26 PM

Here's a screenshot.
You can choose a darker color.

Capture.jpg

Last edited by take77; 11-17-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I tried that and found that the MIDI notes in an instrument track in the edit screen were almost unreadable. Are you seeing that as well? I'm on a Mac and as I understand it Mac & Windows users are seeing different things wr dark mode.
To be honest I haven't checked but I've heard that same thing repeated. I will check, and see if I can locate a hack to adjust. I did find a hack that lightened up the colors of the inactive grid lines in the main window, which I thought were too dark.

Edit: I'm on Mac also. And are you talking about the midi notes in the main screen or the midi editor screen?
Old 11-17-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
To be honest I haven't checked but I've heard that same thing repeated. I will check, and see if I can locate a hack to adjust. I did find a hack that lightened up the colors of the inactive grid lines in the main window, which I thought were too dark.

Edit: I'm on Mac also. And are you talking about the midi notes in the main screen or the midi editor screen?
The edit screen and NOT the MIDI editor screen

QAPLA!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:38 PM

I'm having no problems seeing MIDI things in dark mode on my Mac running Catalina.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
I'm having no problems seeing MIDI things in dark mode on my Mac running Catalina.
Are you talking about using standard dark mode or the 'hack' mentioned here about making the two changes to the dark mode file to have tracks and automation run in classic mode? It's in the modified dark mode mentioned earlier in this thread that I have a problem seeing the MIDI notes. Unaltered dark mode shows them just fine.

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:20 AM

Nope, no hacks. Bog standard. No issues in MIDI editor or track edit view.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:36 AM

Great that some users find the new dark theme comfortable for their use but those of us who don't aren't simply reactionary, or too old to adapt. Many of us naturally and effortlessly made the switch to an OS-wide dark theme and find it soothing to our eyes. This includes native file managers, browsers, publishing and office software, not to mention video editing suites, possibly other DAWs, etc, etc.

I think Avid's team should revisit this and see what accommodations can be made to meet different users' needs.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:57 AM

Nope.

That means Reaper-like tragedies with skins and things.

I’d been using “classic” since 2003 or so. Remember when there was no MIDI editor window?

Can’t please everyone. I’m pleased enough to use it, imperfect as it is. If anyone wants to hack it, clearly there are options available there, and there will likely be a small cottage industry built around a GUI that will allow you to tweak that preferences file.

Me? I’d rather they fix the issue where >100 plugins on startup causes the program to crash. Or let the FB360 plugins be optional because they break Native Instrument’s Komplete Kontrol (still hasn’t been fixed, and because the new PT reinstalls them, I had to rediscover why my Komplete Kontrol S61 didn’t work again). Or put the track input arm button on my Artist Control touch screen next to the Record, Solo, and Mute buttons as it was suggested once upon a time that it could happen and that it is something that should always have been there, but likely never will now because that device has become abandonware.

Fix things that keep people from working. You know, issues that plague pros. You want skins? Lots of other options out there. Not trying to be snobby, but based on the splash screen (too hard to center things and distribute negative space in a coherent manner?) and new logos, and according to others the dark mode, Avid’s core expertise is not graphic design, so don’t expect it of them.

A- for effort, Avid. Not a needed or requested thing, but nice try. B- for execution, because while I like it and find it useful, it would be nice to adjust the brightness of the regions like you can the track colours, others are uncomfortable with the new thing and don’t like it just because it’s different, or maybe their monitors are badly calibrated, or... you can’t please everyone.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
Nope.

That means Reaper-like tragedies with skins and things.

I’d been using “classic” since 2003 or so. Remember when there was no MIDI editor window?

Can’t please everyone. I’m pleased enough to use it, imperfect as it is. If anyone wants to hack it, clearly there are options available there, and there will likely be a small cottage industry built around a GUI that will allow you to tweak that preferences file.

Me? I’d rather they fix the issue where >100 plugins on startup causes the program to crash. Or let the FB360 plugins be optional because they break Native Instrument’s Komplete Kontrol (still hasn’t been fixed, and because the new PT reinstalls them, I had to rediscover why my Komplete Kontrol S61 didn’t work again). Or put the track input arm button on my Artist Control touch screen next to the Record, Solo, and Mute buttons as it was suggested once upon a time that it could happen and that it is something that should always have been there, but likely never will now because that device has become abandonware.

Fix things that keep people from working. You know, issues that plague pros. You want skins? Lots of other options out there. Not trying to be snobby, but based on the splash screen (too hard to center things and distribute negative space in a coherent manner?) and new logos, and according to others the dark mode, Avid’s core expertise is not graphic design, so don’t expect it of them.

A- for effort, Avid. Not a needed or requested thing, but nice try. B- for execution, because while I like it and find it useful, it would be nice to adjust the brightness of the regions like you can the track colours, others are uncomfortable with the new thing and don’t like it just because it’s different, or maybe their monitors are badly calibrated, or... you can’t please everyone.
I agree. But I think my question is: Why did Avid spends their time money and resources on dark theme before fixing the bugs and other important issues like stability?