Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Default TIP!!! : Do NOT upgrade your Command 8 's firmware or it might DIE like mine !!!!

Still I get no answer whatsoever to my previously stated here issue ( --> http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=246785 )

I thought I would warn other people thinking of updating their Command 8 firmware to the new one available as a free download on Digidesign's website.

You'd think that doing this can only be good for your controller and bam! you end up with a dead Command 8. I've called a few places here in Belgium and this supposed painless little upgrade is going to cost me shipping to another country, plus maybe the cost of reinjecting the firmware into my Command 8 at the Digidesign factory. I'm not even mentioning the time this whole thing is going to take.

I'm pretty pissed right now.

That's prolly going to be my last ever Digidesign product if this isn't solved with a much better customer orientated point of view.

And to the Digidesign website people : maybe advise that the firmware upgrade might go wrong at the user's expenses.

This feels like prehistorical times here!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Avid

Default Re: TIP!!! : Do NOT upgrade your Command 8 's firmware or it might DIE like mine !!!!

In looking at repair records, I see only one other case of firmware update corruption, but it was repaired under warranty.

When did you purchase your unit?

Have you tried contacting UK tech support directly?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Re: TIP!!! : Do NOT upgrade your Command 8 's firmware or it might DIE like mine !!!!

I blew an mbox firmware a couple years ago (the firmware updater crashed mid-update) and digi swapped it for a new one no problem. Thanks Digi!

I have never figured out why, with memory so cheap, there can't be buffered and error corrected firmware updates that shrink the window of potential firmware death to milliseconds, and what's more, are user-revivable with a ROM-based loader even if the update is blown. Surely companies spend about as much servicing user-blown firmwares as such additions to the chips would cost.

BTW I was recently working on a D-command and honestly I prefer my 003 Console over it. It was just too big to reach everything easily in the sweet spot. I want a nice compact master section and a few faders...maybe the plugin controls all the way up on the D-control would start to be worth it, but I'm seeing why Icons are being sold 2nd hand a lot these days. A followup to the Command-8, that would run on dis-M-powered and be even better than the 003 Console as a control surface would be something I'd buy.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Funny could it be that command 8 dont like belgium?! Had a 'jittery' fader issue, looked on the digi site where it said to update the firmware and the firmware updater 'bricked' my controller. Result - I have to pay for the repair grrrrrr
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Hello again,

there's some news to my situation but as i won't double post, here's the link to the content : http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=1#post1456014
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 AM

Hello Mottow,

Are you from Belgium too? Who did you contact after it happened?
Since customers cannot directly speak to the Digidesign repair/tech in the UK, the shop employee who called me mentioned that he was told they don't want to replace it for free because I'm the only one who ever had this problem. Seems like I'm not alone...

I'm really surprised though that there are not many more people with the same issue knowing I followed every step perfectly for the update process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottow View Post
Funny could it be that command 8 dont like belgium?! Had a 'jittery' fader issue, looked on the digi site where it said to update the firmware and the firmware updater 'bricked' my controller. Result - I have to pay for the repair grrrrrr
Old 11-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkilla72 View Post

Still I get no answer whatsoever to my previously stated here issue ( --> http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=246785 )

I thought I would warn other people thinking of updating their Command 8 firmware to the new one available as a free download on Digidesign's website.

You'd think that doing this can only be good for your controller and bam! you end up with a dead Command 8. I've called a few places here in Belgium and this supposed painless little upgrade is going to cost me shipping to another country, plus maybe the cost of reinjecting the firmware into my Command 8 at the Digidesign factory. I'm not even mentioning the time this whole thing is going to take.

I'm pretty pissed right now.

That's prolly going to be my last ever Digidesign product if this isn't solved with a much better customer orientated point of view.

And to the Digidesign website people : maybe advise that the firmware upgrade might go wrong at the user's expenses.

This feels like prehistorical times here!
I have a similar prob, if i cant get an answer by tomorrow im ringin the ppl i bought it from see if they can fix it. the link here is the prob im having.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...97#post1492497
Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM

if i get an answer off the ppl i bought it from how to fix it ill pos it on this thread m8
Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymatey View Post
I have a similar prob, if i cant get an answer by tomorrow im ringin the ppl i bought it from see if they can fix it. the link here is the prob im having.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...97#post1492497
if i get an answer off the ppl i bought it from how to fix it ill pos it on this thread m8
Old 11-08-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
Well I've a couple of observations:

1) Posting here is NOT the same as calling Digi tech support - they should have been your first port of call.

2) In your original post you mentioned that the C8 was losing connection with your machine before the update. Unless the update specifically fixed those sort of issues I would have looked at resolving the intermittant connection issue BEFORE doing a critical 'must not lose connection during update' update.

I think your C8 'just' needs a re-flash at the factory - but I've a feeling your original 'intermittant' problem will return when it gets returned. Failing that, it *is* possible that the C8 is faulty, in which case a factory check-out is a good thing.

I feel your frustration, but pay the money, it'll be worth it in the end.

I also agree that there should be some sort of minimal 'boot loader' that doesn't get overwritten by a firmware update and thus user recovery from a failed flash update possible - motherboard BIOSs now do this (though I still sit there with my fingers crossed praying the power doesn't go out!)

The scariest thing I've ever seen was when I first received my 003. An 'in theory' compatible ieee card but untested, followed by plugging in to my PT8 box....where it promptly saw the 003 and said 'right...am updating the firmware now!' - the ieee card proved totally compatible but not quite the way I planned
the phone lines a quid a min the robbing ********