Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Default RE: SSL G Comp / Latency / mix bus chain

Hi All-

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I didn't see another area that fit.

Anyways, here's what I have been doing:

I'm sending my mix to a Dangerous D-Box (8 Outs). I then take the sum out and run it into the SLL G comp. The SSL stereo outs go back into PT. I then make a Mono Aux track and send the input of the mix from the SSL to this Mono Aux and send this to key the compressor.

The problem is, I've realized the SSL is obvsiouly being keyed after the mix is being sent through.

--

The other option is to send the mix in to the D-Box, out that and back into tools. Then run a stereo out into the SSL and a Mono out (same way via aux send) to key the SSL. The only thing with this is, I would be using the SSL as the last piece in my mix bus chain.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the SSL before using something ike UAD's precision maximizer?

Anyways, I've now confused myself and am unsure how to setup the mix bus while still being able to use the mono key input on the SSL AND have it key the compressor at the same time the mix is running through it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's much appreciated.

Scott
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Default Re: SSL G Comp / Latency / mix bus chain

Sending out to the D-box makes good sense. Passing the Dbox out into the SSL compressor makes good sense(assuming you are NOT going to have the project mastered). Printing the output of the comp back into Pro Tools makes sense. But this: " I then make a Mono Aux track and send the input of the mix from the SSL to this Mono Aux and send this to key the compressor." doesn't make sense to me. Am I the only one?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 PM

Default Re: SSL G Comp / Latency / mix bus chain

Yeah a bit confusing. Do you want to key the SSL Comp (which is on the stereo 2-bus) via a side-chain from some other mono submix? Or from the sum from the D-Box (pre compression)?

It sounds like you're making an extra loop — PT -> DBox -> SSL -> PT -> SSL key — but I don't see why.

What do you want the compressor to key off of? The mix, or something else? If the mix, then you don't need to side chain anything into that mono key input, just turn off the key input altogether. If you want the comp to key off something else, why not just sum the submix In The Box and send that out a spare output?

~Peter in oakland