Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 AM

Default Low Latency Interfaces?

Can anyone share their experiences with LL Interfaces such as RME or Quantum?

Is it possible with today's powerful PC's to simply monitor and work within Pro Tools without having to resort to direct monitoring thru the interface software?

I switched from a TDM system to UAD and it works but, I have never really been happy with having to use the UAD console. It just seems like a work around. I miss the simplicity of just working in Pro Tools. TDM just worked!

I'm working on a project now that will probably finish up before the end of the year. After that I'm probably going to get out of the UAD ecosystem.

HDX isn't an option because I refuse to pay the inflated maintenance fees.

Is there an interface option that will do what I want?
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Low Latency Interfaces?

I currently run a Quantum interface under Windows and can achieve 4 ms total latency, which I can not detect and always track without direct monitoring.

I have also used the Focusrite TB Clarett interface, which is also very good, but the Quantum drivers seem more efficient where I can user a smaller buffer without issues.

The Focusrite preamps have more character, and it's a perfectly usable interface, but if sheer performance is your goal, then go for the Quantum.

System Details
Old 09-27-2018, 12:47 PM

I have a Native Instruments KA6 and I track guitar and bass with virtually no latency, even in sessions with heavy plugin count where I have to use 256 or 512 I can barely notice it (provided that none of the plugins used imparts a large value to ADC). The little box really excels in performance!

Last edited by amagras; 09-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:48 PM

Since the OP is used to the UA interface, just be aware of one detail. Without the Apollo AND the UA "console", you will not be able to track with any UAD plugins. The latency will not allow it, outside of the Apollo's console(on my HD/Native rig, every UAD plugin reports at least 1100 samples of latency). If you don't need UAD plugins while tracking, then it won't be a problem

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Since the OP is used to the UA interface, just be aware of one detail. Without the Apollo AND the UA "console", you will not be able to track with any UAD plugins. The latency will not allow it, outside of the Apollo's console(on my HD/Native rig, every UAD plugin reports at least 1100 samples of latency). If you don't need UAD plugins while tracking, then it won't be a problem
If I change from the Apollo, I'll likely get out of the UAD ecosystem altogether. Their all or nothing policy concerning reselling plugins has kept me from investing to heavily. The EMT140 is the only one I'll miss...
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
If I change from the Apollo, I'll likely get out of the UAD ecosystem altogether. Their all or nothing policy concerning reselling plugins has kept me from investing to heavily. The EMT140 is the only one I'll miss...

Let’s not go there b/c I would miss more than a few 🤭
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.