Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Default Fast Track Ultra dropping connection

Good day! My Fast Track Ultra is exhibiting the commonly reported behavior of dropping the connection periodically and not powering up via USB (need to plug in the adapter to get it to work).

I have already Googled for a solution to the problem and found that it has something to do with units that have 'F' as the sixth character in the serial string, which my unit unfortunately does have. I did find this:

---------------
IRQ Troubleshooting (Windows)

If the 6th digital is the letter "F", there is a chance your device may be affected by this malfunction. Since the symptoms of this issue are identical to common system configuration issues; below are some troubleshooting steps you can try to eliminate any irregularities you may be experiencing. If you continue to experience this loss of connection or require assistance in determining the cause, please contact M-Audio Tech Support.
---------------

but as most users with the same problem are aware of, the links to the troubleshooting steps is now dead. I bought this unit second hand and I will probably not be willing/able to send it to an authorized repair center, even if there is one in my region (Southeast Asia), which I doubt.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can proceed from here or even a copy paste of the trouble shooting steps? Possibly some suggestions on addressing power supply issues that I can pass on to a local tech?

I am using the device on an HP Elitebook laptop, win7x64.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Fast Track Ultra dropping connection

Honestly, by the time you ship the FTU to a repair centre, and they fix it you're probably going to be way over the cost of buying a newer, better and well supported (drivers) interface.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...roduct-Repairs

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 11-30-2017, 03:30 PM

Yes, I realize that, which is why I'm hoping anyone who's ever had to deal with the problem has some suggestions I could pass on to my local tech. It does work for the most part (apart from three blown preamps--but that's another story), so it would be a shame to give it up without trying to address this 'dropped connection' issue.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:01 PM

Could the dropped connection be caused by USB port power management? Disabling that feature is a required tweak for any windows setup

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 PM

That's the first thing I checked, thanks.

Unfortunately, it's an acknowledged fault that I was unaware of before I bought it.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Hi I saw your post and I had been having the same issues. You may want to read what I wrote here, as it may help:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395698

Last edited by Cal D; 12-15-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 12-15-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal D View Post
Hi I saw your post and I had been having the same issues. You may want to read what I wrote here, as it may help:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395698
Thank you, but it doesn't really apply to my case.

Strangely, my Ultra has been behaving fairly well recently if I keep it off before I turn on the computer and only turn it on after everything has settled down. I only experienced a drop out when the mains power fluctuated and was able to get it working again after a reset. No BSoD so far either, so fingers crossed..