Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-23-2020, 02:18 AM

Default Pro Tools Mutes Other Programs

Hello,

since I'm forced to work at home from my Laptop, i'm encountering an annoying problem:

As soon as I open Pro Tools, no other program is able to play any sound. It's possible again after I close Pro Tools, and I haven't found any solution to this, even though a lot of people face the similar problem online.

I work only from my Windows 10 Laptop, no additional hardware. My default soundcard are the RealTek (R) Audio Speakers. In Pro Tools (since Pro Tools Aggregate disappeared a week ago), i'm using ASIO4All, which i downloaded.

There seems to be a Major Problem, when I try to play Youtube, it won't even play the video but shows me a strange and serious Error Message, which I attached (It translates to: "Error with audio playback. Please restart the computer." It works again with just closing Pro Tools, though.)

When Pro Tools is opened, I still only have my Realtek sound device available when I click on the Sound Icon in the bottom right corner. Windows Trouble Shooting didn't help.

I'm using Pro Tools 2019 Ultimate.

Thanks very much in advance,

Ali
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error.jpg (18.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Mutes Other Programs

Sorry, not sure how it works on Windows, but you did mention aggregate device. On my iMac at home, within the aggregate device I add all of my IO options, including built-in speakers and microphone. Can you try uninstall/reinstall to see if aggregate shows up?

I know this isn't what you asked about, but that's one of the things I totally HATE about HD and using Avid hardware. When you're using Native cards or HDX, nothing else can connect. That's one of the main reasons we're attempting to go 'Thunderbolt' to something like FocusRite RED 4Pre, that also connects us to our Dante network. SO MANY MORE OPTIONS open up once you lose the hardware, especially Native cards... they do nothing to help with DSP and are ONLY used to get you connected to the hardware.

Just not necessary any longer...
Old 04-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Things to be aware of:
1-with Windows sound cards, you're pretty much stuck with using ASIO4ALL.
2-Windows and Pro Tools don't play well together on the same audio device(aka "audio engine" in Pro Tools)
3-Aggregate is only available on Macs
4-for serious audio work, you really need a separate interface. If you aren't willing to buy at least a modest($150-200) interface, you would be much better off with a different DAW program(Reaper is a solid alternative, and its cheap to buy and free to try)
5-if you DO buy an interface(Focusrite, Presonus and SSL all make decent units in the price range I mentioned), you need to go into Windows Sound Properties(after installing the ASIO driver that goes with the interface) and set the Windows Default Playback device to the on-board sound card(so Pro Tools has exclusive use of the interface)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-01-2020, 09:40 AM

hmm that sounds quite grim. yes, if albee says that Aggregate is only available on Mac, i guess reinstalling won't make a difference

since I'm a sound design student, i'd have the boldness to say that i will be doing serious audio work so i guess there's no way around getting a seperate hardware interface?

thanks soo much for the answers! :)
Old 05-01-2020, 11:37 PM

Yes, without dedicated interface you are only banging your head to the wall