Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Pro Tools 9.0 possible problem with plug-in install.

Hello my fellow Pro Tools users, I just wanted to let you all know my latest findings. I recently had to format my drive and freshly install OSX, Pro Tools, and ALL Plug-ins…. This was a total DRAG! I installed a fresh copy of PT 9.0 without installing PT8. Well, I had to uninstall PT9.0 and install PT8 again because there was a MAJOR issue. All plug-ins, built by Avid/Digidesign/Pro tools --- PRE PT9.0 -- WOULD NOT INSTALL INTO PT9.0. All non-Avid plug-ins however, would install. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you are installing on a new system or re-installing as I did.

Of course AFTER I installed PT8 & the plug-ins, I Installed the (upgrade) PT9.

This messages does not mean that plug-ins (PRE PT9) will not work, it simply means that avid/digidesign plug-ins (PRE PT9) will have to be installed on a PT8 setup and then, if you wish, upgrade to PT9.0 (Everything still works fine if installed in this order)

Sorry for the confusion

-Mark

Last edited by PittsburghsRECLabel; 11-16-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: (More Descriptive)
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0 WARNING!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghsRECLabel View Post
Hello my fellow Pro Tools users, I just wanted to let you all know my latest findings. I recently had to format my drive and freshly install OSX, Pro Tools, and ALL Plug-ins…. This was a total DRAG! I installed a fresh copy of PT 9.0 without installing PT8. Well, I had to uninstall PT9.0 and install PT8 again because there was a MAJOR issue. All plug-ins, built by Avid/Digidesign/Pro tools --- PRE PT9.0 -- WOULD NOT INSTALL INTO PT9.0. All non-Avid plug-ins however, would install. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you are installing on a new system or re-installing as I did.

-Mark
Hi,

This makes no sense as there are 1000's of users who would have installed PT9 on a fresh OS install.

Sounds to me like you may have a mixture of some PT8 files and some PT9 files. you would need to completely uninstall PT9 and trash all prefs before reverting back to PT8. trying to install PT8 over PT9 would not work correctly as you can not downgrade the PT software without totally removing all traces of PT9.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Hi Chris, you are misunderstanding, there is an immediate error message stating that there MUST be PT8 LE installed on the system to install the “said” Avid plug-ins. This is a FRESH install, not an upgrade. Thanks for trying to help though, but the fact is still this: If you have plug-ins that have a “PT8 LE requirement written on the box, you must have PT8 installed on your system to install these plug-ins. After you install the plug-ins that require PT8, then you may upgrade to PT9.0.
-Mark
Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Avid

Which plug-ins are you trying to install, exactly?

I changed the thread title until we could get a little more info...no need to cause panic yet.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0 possible problem with plug-in install.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to cause panic. Just trying to inform Pro Tools users how to work around a small issue.

If you want to install these plug-ins on a NEW PT9.0 installation (new meaning- Pro Tools never installed prior to installing PT9.0, YOU MUST, first install PT8.

These are the plug-ins that would NOT install untill PT8 was installed:

Music Production Toolkit 2

Producer Factory Pro

Thanks!
-Mark
Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 PM

Music Production Toolkit is "not needed" with Pro Tools 9.
The specific plug-ins that came with MPT like Hybrid can be downloaded and installed if you don't have the Hybrid installer already.

Not sure about Producer factory pro, wasn't that basically bomb factory plug-ins?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Avid

We're revving the installers for the Producer Factory bundles (as carlone indicated MPTK is not needed for Pro Tools 9) - until then, you should install the plug-ins separately.

The Producer Factory Pro page has links to the individual installers for the plug-ins in the bundle:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Producer-Factory-Pro

You can get links to other plug-in installers here:

http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Au...s-LE-M-Powered
Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We're revving the installers for the Producer Factory bundles (as carlone indicated MPTK is not needed for Pro Tools 9) - until then, you should install the plug-ins separately.

The Producer Factory Pro page has links to the individual installers for the plug-ins in the bundle:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Producer-Factory-Pro

You can get links to other plug-in installers here:

http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Au...s-LE-M-Powered
Well, with that said, I have just one question. Will there be any difference in the configuration/system files in: (PT8.0 upgraded to PT9.0) Vs. (COMPLETE PT9.0-fresh installation)? In my experience, some software runs more smoothly with a complete install compared to an upgraded version. If this could potentially be the case, I will uninstall PT9.0 again, and install a fresh copy of PT9.0. Everything seems to be operating like it should --but --on your word, I will do this & then download the installers from the links you've posted.

Thanks
-Mark
Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Avid

If everything appears to be working properly currently, I wouldn't think there's any need to uninstall/reinstall Pro Tools. Just grab the plug-in installers you need, install them and you should be good to go.