Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 AM

Question Pro Tools 10 upgrade in school

Hi everyone.

I have a Music room with 17 pcs running Pro Tools 8 m-powered.
We are now on Windows 7.
The PCs have 4GB RAM.

They all have i-loks and I have been trying to figure out how to upgrade them all to Pro Tools 10. I am on a tight budget too so want to do it as cheap as possible.....

There doesn't seem to be any support for education establishments in the uk is that right?
If I buy one crossgrade, could I apply it to all the PC's I have or do I need to buy 17 upgrades?
sounds like a daft question, but I used the same .exe file to install on all the pc's originally (just had to have 17 different licenses).
Does the crossgrade come with a new license key or update the existing one?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 upgrade in school

you need 17 licences for the 17 iLoks (one for each), you can use the same installer (we make a master image and use Deploy Studio to push out our systems)

There academic packs available you just need to find the right retailer

http://www.avid.com/UK/resources/Academic-Eligibility

http://shop.avid.com/store/category....demic-products

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 AM

Thanks for that. Thought that might be the case, was hoping that the existing license keys might work and save me a load of money!

Did you have to put new license keys on each ilok aswell? Or did the crossgrade program update the ilok?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 AM

You might want to contact Avid or one of the resellers directly on this one. You can probably cut a better deal. The regular student version has four years of upgrades included - it's the M-Powered thing that's in question here since that has now gone missing. Not sure what the implications are for a lab.

You would have to update each iLok individually. It's not part of the installer.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 AM

That helps thanks. The 'reseller' locater isnt working on the avid website, but I've used Music Village before so will start there..... any other recommendations for UK resellers?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 upgrade in school

Your looking at roughly £159 ex Vat per license. You will have to use your existing iloks. (Make sure you know your iloks account they assigned too and password)
If you contact resellers at places like Production Room or Academia, they will be able to help and give you a competitive quote since you are buying multiple copies.

Unfortunately academic centres do not qualify for the 4 years upgrades like the students. (Bloody pain in the arse con)

I have to look after 40 macs with pro tools, cubase, logic, reason, ableton etc... And it's a pain trying to keep up with updates and new versions.
You would think Avid would give the establishment the same privilege as the students with 4 years upgrades since we are basically convincing the students to buy the software. So basically the students end up with newer version of pro tools and make the academic establishment look crap and out of date. (Sorry for the mini rant)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 AM

I like a good rant! I have found that Avid generally aren't very competative when it comes to getting there software in the classroom. I do get quizzical looks from other Music teachers when I tell them I use Pro tools..... 'Why? I can do all that in Cubase/Logic/Reason and it's miles cheaper' is the usual comment.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 AM

Did you have any luck sorting out some prices?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson View Post
I have found that Avid generally aren't very competative when it comes to getting there software in the classroom.

....... 8<

'Why? I can do all that in Cubase/Logic/Reason and it's miles cheaper' is the usual comment.
The answer to both might lie in the fact that knowing how to operate properly PT is an almost always requisite (in NA at least) in any audio job postings.

A music creator can choose his production studio tools, a more audio oriented person (especially in anything post) must learn to master the field standard ones if he hopes to suceed.

Darryl Ramm
Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Yeah 'industry standard' is usually my response as to 'why Pro Tools?'.

I have got some quotes coming in at around £150 a license, I've just got to find a pot of money somewhere now (it's not coming out of my measley budget!)

May be a while before I get any funding as PT8 MP is running fine at the moment. Which I'm surprised at because they are networked computers running windows 7 lol !

Thanks for all the help :) will use this forum more often I think!