Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 AM

Default What digilink cable do I need?

I just bought myself a second hand HD 2 PCI-e and it came with a short (30 cm?) digilink cable. I want to order myself an Avid IO 16 analog today and I was wondering. The shop said that I need a digilink mini cable for it. I'm really confused about this. I see from the specs of the IO 16, that it has a digilink mini out. I suppose I will need a digilink to digilink mini adapter. I also want to order a longer digilink cable (7m?). I just wonder if there's a male and female side on these cables and which ones I will need then. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks a lot!
Hans
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 AM

Default Re: What digilink cable do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhans View Post
I just bought myself a second hand HD 2 PCI-e and it came with a short (30 cm?) digilink cable. I want to order myself an Avid IO 16 analog today and I was wondering. The shop said that I need a digilink mini cable for it. I'm really confused about this. I see from the specs of the IO 16, that it has a digilink mini out. I suppose I will need a digilink to digilink mini adapter. I also want to order a longer digilink cable (7m?). I just wonder if there's a male and female side on these cables and which ones I will need then. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks a lot!
Hans
Hi,

Cable and adaptor are included. makes sure the box is sealed when you buy it...

Features
Whether you work with music or sound for picture, HD I/O gives you professional-grade audio quality, high performance conversion, and the flexibility to integrate with a variety analog and digital gear, so you can quickly adapt the interface to meet whatever need comes your way.

Pristine audio clarity and ultra low latency through state-of-the-art A/D and D/A conversion, premium analog circuitry, and meticulous attention to design
Adapt the interface for your needs—choose from three configurations:
Get a balance of analog and digital I/O with HD I/O 8x8x8
Maximize your analog I/O with HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Go all digital with HD I/O 16x16 Digital
Versatile digital I/O on all interfaces, with built-in sample rate conversion
Expand or customize the I/O with analog or digital option cards
Completely integrates with Pro Tools|HD for full input, output, and routing control
Track hotter signals and smooth out sounds with Curv, a new built-in soft-knee limiter
Keep things in sync with dedicated Word Clock and Loop Sync I/O
Keep an eye on your levels easily through 32 4-segment metering LEDs
Robust 2U rack-mountable chassis
Connects to Pro Tools|HD through a DigiLink Mini connection (cable and adaptor included)

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Hi Crizdee

I bought a second hand HD2 and only this short digilink cable came with it. I have to buy new cables, so my question was; which ones will I need to connect a new Avid IO16 analog with my HD core PCI-e?

cheers
Hans
Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Hi Crizdee

I bought a second hand HD2 and only this short digilink cable came with it. I have to buy new cables, so my question was; which ones will I need to connect a new Avid IO16 analog with my HD core PCI-e?

cheers
Hans
He's saying it should be in the box with the HD IO. Thats how I'm reading it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Hi Crizdee

cheers
Hans
Hi,

Yes the same cable will do it!! it will connect either to the PCIe card or to your existing HD interface.

If you're looking for a longer Digilink cable to connect the original HD interface they are available from the Digi store.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Hi all

I'm sorry but my question wasn't really answered. I know it should have been in the box, but the seller only had one small digilink cable (30cm long). No other cables were supplied to me.

I presume that this cable would be fine to connect to one of the older interfaces like the Digidesign 96 IO or the 192 IO, but I'm planning to buy a new Avid IO 16 Analog which seems to have another kind of digilink output, the mini digilink.

So my question(s) is (are)

1 Will I have to buy an extra adapter cable? And how long are these? Is there a digilink to mini digilink adapter cable of about 7m long?

2 How should this cable look like? Is there a male and female side on these adapter cables and which one should I buy? Female to male, male to male, or female to female (if these exist)?

I'm still waiting for my Avid IO 16 to arrive, so I'd love to order these cables now, so that I have no downtime with my new system.

Thank you all
Hans
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Hi all

but I'm planning to buy a new Avid IO 16 Analog which seems to have another kind of digilink output, the mini digilink.
Hi,

Thats what i'm talking about! your new Avid i/o 16 will come with a cable and adapter. which can connect to either your PCIe card or an existing original HD interface.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM

One of the shops I asked for a quote for the IO16 didn't mention that the adapter was included. They proposed to buy one extra. Another dealer told me it was included. So, all I have to buy is the extra long regular digilink cable!

Great, thanks a lot!
Hans