Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 05:52 AM

Default At my wits end!! Bounce problem with LE 5.1.1

Here is my setup:

Pro Tools LE 5.1.1 (as shipped, all components match)
Audiomedia III
Power Mac G4 single processor 1.25 Ghz
1 GB of Ram

When I bounce my finished mixes to disk they crackle and pop when they are played back in any audio playback software (quicktime, Itunes, anything.)
The meters in Pro Tools are all OK. No Clipping. It sounds fine in Pro Tools.
I bounce them to AIFF at 16 bit, 44100 Khz.
But the Bounced Mixes can't be turned up without this crakleing bad cable type sound present
that doesn't seem to exist when listening in pro tools.
It is most noticable when listening throught the headphone jack on the front of the mac.
If the level is kept really low, the bounces sound clean, but when level is set to a normal output volume, it gets all nasty.
I've tried changing the bounce bitrate and sample rate. I've tried using the Dither Plugin on the master fader. I don't kow what elese to try.
Any ideas?
I'm desperate (did I spell that right?)
Old 10-26-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Re: At my wits end!! Bounce problem with LE 5.1.1

When bouncing your session to a stereo file, a dither plug must be used on the master fader!(assuming your sessions are at 24-bit)they must be dithered to 16-bit!
Old 10-26-2004, 07:08 AM

Hi zulu,

I got this info on the answerbase.....try it sometime ...it has helped me out several times. I have also discovered the same problem, and I muted my midi tracks, and this also helped, oh that was with the mp3 bounce.

Best,

Kenny

Answer Details
When I Bounce To Disk, I get a burst of white noise at the end of the resultant file.
This can occur if the DAE Playback Buffer is set to 8. Try changing the Buffer to 2 or 4, then restart Pro Tools.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:26 AM

Quote:
When bouncing your session to a stereo file, a dither plug must be used on the master fader!(assuming your sessions are at 24-bit)they must be dithered to 16-bit!
Not entirely accurate... you can use the digidesign dither that is internal...in prefs, you can configure it so you don't have to place a dither plug-in on the Master fader. This method has always worked well for me.

Best,

Kenny
Old 10-26-2004, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Not entirely accurate... you can use the digidesign dither that is internal...in prefs, you can configure it so you don't have to place a dither plug-in on the Master fader. This method has always worked well for me.

Best,

Kenny
isnt that for fades only?

and if my 24 bit files all have a 16 bit dither because of this preference, i think it'd be a big problem.

has anyone suggested to try to set the clock to "internal"?

thanks about the burst of white nouise at a setting of 8. hasnt happened to em since i upgraded to tdm but that was killing me for years.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:53 AM

which drive are you bouncing to ? You don't say if you have an external drive for all your PTools sessions ?.
If you're trying to record or bounce to your System disk, this might be the problem.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Quote:
which drive are you bouncing to ? You don't say if you have an external drive for all your PTools sessions ?.
If you're trying to record or bounce to your System disk, this might be the problem.

Yes, I am using the System disk to bounce to.
Is that lilkley to cause this crackley noisy sound?
Before I got the G4 I used the system disk to bounce sessions on a 300mhz g3 with only 128 mb of ram without any problems.

I'll try to get another hard drive to use.

Any other ideas or suggestions.
I've re-recorded the same peice of music about 5 times now and I don't know what to do.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:12 AM

Yes- my suggestion is get a fast (7200) speed Firewire external drive, use quality FW cables, and record always to this drive, and NOT the internal system drive. This is really pretty standard Pro Tools procedure, as suggested by Digi. I'm not saying that this will absolutely solve your bounce problem, but it will surely help, and give you better stability and more tracks.

Just take pity on your internal system-drive, trying to read off the software, plus trying to record to itself as well !!!
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 10-28-2004, 06:00 AM

Ok, heres the latest on my problem.
I tried a recording direct into my mac, no AM III no Pro Tools.
Sound is still crackly, so I guess it's not Pro Tools.
It's crackly at the line input and crackly out the headpone jack.
The source has a headphone jack, I checked it but it's clean sounding at the source.
Levels are not peaking either (don't even have it in the yellow).
Oddly enough if I listen to it through my stereo reciever, it's fine. No Problem.
I guess it's no longer a Digi problem, but can anyone suggest anything to me?
I really don't want to send out my work and then have this issue show up when a potential client listens to my work.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:02 AM

I forgot to mention.....
Other sounds play fine.
MP3s from my CDs and sound from movies and what not.

It puzzles the hell out of me......