Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-17-2006, 10:09 AM

Default PT LE and Nuendo

Hi, I'm trying to decide which system I should set myself up with for post-production mixing. I am thinking about upgrading to PT 7, and getting the DV Toolkit 2 in order to increase the track count and add the snapshot automation (two important aspects missing from PT LE that I feel would greatly increase my speed and efficiency). However, the DV Toolkit 2 is damn expensive, and I want to be sure before I purchase it. Is there a demo out there anywhere? Does a demo ship with PT LE software like the first DV toolkit did with PT 6.X? Any way to try it out before I purchase?

Also, I have been considering the possiblity of editing in PT but mixing in Nuendo. I love PT for editing, recording, and sound FX creation and all that, but it appears that Nuendo, with its super high track count support, and support for surround sound may be a better investment rather than the DV Toolkit in terms of the best system in which to mix.

Also, does PT 7 support Waves v.4 or would I have to upgrade to Waves v.5? Does Nuendo support waves v.4?

What would you recommend? Purchasing PT with the DV toolkit 2? or purchasing Nuendo as part of a system in which I edit in standard basic PT and mix in Nuendo?

What are the advantages to one system over the other?

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: PT LE and Nuendo

well, that's a kind of tough question: Personally I'm doing post on Pro Tools for almost 10years.Since 6 months ago I did a couple of jobs on Nuendo. Both systems have pros and cons and I would say you should try both in deep before making a decision. If you want to edit on PT and mix later on Nuendo you have to get DVToolkit anyway to be possibble to export OMFs. What I like about PT is that it's well designed, you always have a good overview which is important during difficult sessions (with clients e.g.). Editing can be done very fast. What I miss about PT LE is surround capability, faster than realtime bouncing and multiple movie tracks (which is hopefully coming with PT 7.2).
What I like about Nuendo is the Surround feature, multiple video tracks (almost all formats!), fast bounces and Timecode without extra cost. But I really miss the Smart Tool ! In Nuendo, you always have to hit different keys for fades or different editing modes. Additionally if you want to do finetuning you have to do a doubleclick on the audio region which is a pain in the neck.