Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 11:40 AM

Default Suggestions for Piano MIDI Controller

A friend of mine is wanting to get a good MIDI controller, with good piano sounds, weighted keys. Any suggestions? The MIDI will mainly be used to play VI's when recording tracks.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for Piano MIDI Controller

To get good piano sounds in the keyboard, I'd look at the Yamaha MoX 8(or the older Mo8 on a budget). The Yamaha keybeds are very good and their piano sounds are very good(I used the piano sounds from my Motif es8 on several recordings, despite having some very good VI pianos). In fact, a used Motif es8 is still a really solid choice for recording midi, piano and a lot of other stuff(the Mo8 is essentially the same engine, minus all the sequencing features). If you look at a used es8, check the bottom as the screws love to fall out

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-03-2021, 04:51 AM

Personally I'd go with one of the Kurzweil keyboards. Great key action and killer piano along with other sounds.

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think he wants anything more than a MIDI controller that has some decent pianos on it with MIDI. Kurweil and the MOXF are full blown workstations, which is way more than he wants. I think what he means by "MIDI Controller" is the ability to use the MIDI feature of the keyboard to play some VI when recording, or to have a MIDI track he creates in his DAW play the Piano on the keyboard to record the audio.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think he wants anything more than a MIDI controller that has some decent pianos on it with MIDI. Kurweil and the MOXF are full blown workstations, which is way more than he wants. I think what he means by "MIDI Controller" is the ability to use the MIDI feature of the keyboard to play some VI when recording, or to have a MIDI track he creates in his DAW play the Piano on the keyboard to record the audio.
That paints a different picture. Saying "a midi controller with piano sounds" makes me think that you want a keyboard WITH piano sounds in it. For strictly midi controllers, the Komplete Kontrol S88 (or the Mk II version) are worth a look(especially if Kontact gets a lot of use with it). Using one of the already mentioned keyboards as a simple controller is still a solid option(you are never forced to use the onboard sounds, but it can be nice to have them as options).

The Arturia stuff is cheaper, but(my opinion only) are not as well-made. If your budget is much lower, I'll bow out as the cheap stuff just doesn't cut it here(in which case, your guy should actually visit a store where he can put hands on). You might also let us know what VI piano plugins are going to be used as that may help steer the recommendations

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
That paints a different picture. Saying "a midi controller with piano sounds" makes me think that you want a keyboard WITH piano sounds in it. For strictly midi controllers, the Komplete Kontrol S88 (or the Mk II version) are worth a look(especially if Kontact gets a lot of use with it). Using one of the already mentioned keyboards as a simple controller is still a solid option(you are never forced to use the onboard sounds, but it can be nice to have them as options).

The Arturia stuff is cheaper, but(my opinion only) are not as well-made. If your budget is much lower, I'll bow out as the cheap stuff just doesn't cut it here(in which case, your guy should actually visit a store where he can put hands on). You might also let us know what VI piano plugins are going to be used as that may help steer the recommendations
Agreed to getting to a good music store and try the different keyboards. Not everyone has a decent key action. My second instrument in chronological order is the piano (accordion being the first at age 8). So I have an appreciation for what constitutes a good key action.

Before covid struck I spent some time in the local Guitar Center trying different keyboards. Yamaha's at one time had crappy key actions. The latest Motif's have gotten way better but ain't cheap. Roland keys aren't that great either right now. Plenty of unwanted double key hits especially on fast runs. Understand I'm talking about weighted piano key action 'boards. The best of what I tried is a Kurzweil - they were great back in the day and still are. And you don't need to buy a full-blown workstation. Sometimes you just want to play music and not have to deal with a computer. That's the only reason I still have my ancient Motif 7 even with the dead keys.

If the subject is at all wanting to be serious about this then get him/her to a music store and try the different actions. Not everyone's weighted piano-like key action is the same. If you can find something with a Fatar action then go for it.

As to Arturia keyboards - they make great vi's. They don't last even when babied in a bedroom studio.

Studiologic make a really good MIDI only keyboard but no sounds on it's own

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:04 PM

I went with a Roland FP10 which has some basic piano presets along with organ, strings, very minimal however.

The Roland feels like a piano, weighted and resistance is about right which my M-Audio keyboard did not provide (good for synths however). It feels like the real thing and I use it to drive EZ piano, Keyscape, and a couple of other VSTs. I wanted that bounce back feel under the fingers so went with this one. There are likely better ones out there but this is a good low cost option.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll pass it along to my friend.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Agreed to getting to a good music store and try the different keyboards. Not everyone has a decent key action. My second instrument in chronological order is the piano (accordion being the first at age 8).

Jack...Jack...Jack...you broke the cardinal rule of us former accordion players. We NEVER speak of it. NEVER!

Old 02-07-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Jack...Jack...Jack...you broke the cardinal rule of us former accordion players. We NEVER speak of it. NEVER!
Did not know that.

Ancient history - when the Cordovox came out I was one of the first in the Trenton area to have one. This is the one with two rather large enclosures that had the tone generator and speaker/amp. Then I also had the first solid state one in the area. Originally I wanted to play guitar but my parents wouldn't let me. So it was accordion.

QAPLA!