Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 AM

Default Re: OSX Yosemite is coming this Fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
However in 8 years of running ProTools on a PC, I have never had this annual panic over incremental OS updates.
Oh I personally have no panic what so ever.
I'll stay on Mountain Lion till something forces me to upgrade.

I have been building PCs for over 20 years and a well built machine will do wonderful things.
I guess as I get older I just prefer to be able to turn the machine on and do what I need to do instead of tinkering all the time.
But as you said, to each their own.
I know I was late to the party but after 20+ years in PC land I just prefer working on Macs now.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I watched the keynote the other day and I have yet to figure out what benefit Yosemite will have for audio and why anyone running a production box (their bread and butter) would want to upgrade to Yosemite or even mavericks for that matter.
Is getting calls and texts that important to your workflow that you have to get them on screen????
Personally I don't see why everyone feels the need to update their OS the day a new version comes out.
All the complaints that PT isn't supported on the latest and greatest OS is BS. (Unless you bought a new Mac Pro)
If it's that important to you get a new machine with the new OS installed and leave your bread and butter machine at a supported configuration.
I really just don't get it.
There are a hundred good reasons to keep your devices up to date. Avid is literally the only software company I've ever dealt with who makes me have to wait (sometimes forever apparently) to update or buy a more powerful system that is more than qualified to run any DAW. It's absurd to me that users actually defend that position.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettster View Post
There are a hundred good reasons to keep your devices up to date. Avid is literally the only software company I've ever dealt with who makes me have to wait (sometimes forever apparently) to update or buy a more powerful system that is more than qualified to run any DAW. It's absurd to me that users actually defend that position.

I don't agree. Usually software companies needs to test their products in the new OS before launching them to the public, it's a matter of common sense.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 10-01-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
That's my opinion and I'm sticking by it!
Too each there own.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Same here!

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Oh I personally have no panic what so ever.

I guess as I get older I just prefer to be able to turn the machine on and do what I need to do instead of tinkering all the time.

That's what's up!!!

Thumbs Up
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
I don't agree. Usually software companies needs to test their products in the new OS before launching them to the public, it's a matter of common sense.
Every software company does testing and is able to launch updates well within reasonable time of new OS's.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Every software company does testing and is able to launch updates well within reasonable time of new OS's.

Agreed - however not all companies have competition or competing products as the software oem.

And don't tell me they are not in the same league as apple - you obviously don't know the tech "take no prisoners" mentality

Apple would like to be the only game in town trust me and they would like to squash anybody who is trying to take any amount of market share
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Then I think 6 months as an average is a fair time to be launching software compatible to the new OS release, and Avid has been doing that, correct?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM

I think 10.9.4 and 11.2.1 is the best PT/OS combo I have seen in many years. No way would I give up the features in 11 for any "increase" in stability today. I have since turned software update - off.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html