Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-10-2016, 03:29 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadw...22_.2814_nm.29

On January 5, 2015, 17 additional Broadwell laptop CPUs were launched for the Celeron, Pentium and Core i3, i5 and i7 series.[52]
On March 31, 2016, Intel officially launched 14 nm Broadwell-EP Xeon E5 V4 CPUs.[53]
On May 30, 2016, Intel officially launched 14 nm Broadwell-E Core i7 69xx/68xx processor family.

The HEDT are the last to be released of the families. And I understand the tick-tock, and the new tick-tock-refine. It's because Intel is having issues getting down to and below the 10 nM process. From what I've read they're looking into materials other than silicon going forward as they are reaching the limits of what's possible with that material.

And it's good to hear that they've made those kind of strides. I knew the socket 2011 chips had been a big improvement over the 1366 chips like in my mac pro. And if you're saying the new ones are already a big jump over the early ones, a new system will be fun. But at the same time my current rig isn't straining. So that and needing to wait on metric halo means I'm not going to do this anytime soon. But I will keep a closer eye on whats available. Probably spring for a PCIe SSD OS drive. I've been happy with my sata 3 ssd's, but imagine that alone is quite the upgrade. :)
The 4xxx E5 v4's which are the high end ones released at the same time as the E series. These are the ones I was looking for when the E's finally released. The 2 series that released in March are so slow, its no wonder nobody knew about them! I actually believe they are more for embedded systems.

The x99 is the 2011-3 socket. Ram speeds are almost double from the previous along with more onboard cache and generational improvements. I really liked the Haswell E's, but not blown away, this series I am blown away. Its not just power, its just feel and response of the system. In actual numbers I can get 154 more dverbs in a session on a 6800k than I could a 5820k on the dverb test. typically I might have around 5-20 more max per upgrade. From the 3930k to the 5820k, there was not really a difference of even 25.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-10-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
So, the i7 broadwell 6-core is as fast as the 12 core trashcan? At least that's what I've been able to gather...

Also, what is the second generation X99 mainboard you've talked about? This?

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-2011-3-M...rds=asus%2Bx99

And what's the difference between the A, A USB 3.1 (obviously 3.1 but can't they all do 3.1?), deluxe (looks like accessories such as fast ssd), and Pro?

Is this ram good? Will i benefit from 3000 Hz? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0134EVVO2..._t2_B018GK2G9S

Whereas I've come across a II x99? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-A-II/ Is this more recent than the x99 mentioned above?
You should just go the manufactures site to get difference between all the boards. But the early A's did not support USB 3.1, that was an update and also added a USB C connector. Every manufacturer has updated its boards for the 6xxx because of the changes in the CPU.

The advantages of faster ram are really the ability to change the clocking of the system and able to downclock the ram if needed instead of overclocking it and still have fast performance. The liklihood of seeing a performance difference between 2400 and 3000 are minimal at best.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-10-2016, 04:09 PM

Default i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
(snip)

The x99 is the 2011-3 socket. Ram speeds are almost double from the previous along with more onboard cache and generational improvements. I really liked the Haswell E's, but not blown away, this series I am blown away. Its not just power, its just feel and response of the system. In actual numbers I can get 154 more dverbs in a session on a 6800k than I could a 5820k on the dverb test. typically I might have around 5-20 more max per upgrade. From the 3930k to the 5820k, there was not really a difference of even 25.
Wow that is an impressive upgrade. Especially on the 6800k. Not that it's any slouch. I just don't like how intel takes out 12 of the pcie lanes on the least expensive processor. I know it's to help drive people to buying the more expensice ones. And I probably wouldn't notice the difference. But still aggravating. I just like to have all upgrade options available. It would be my luck I would add enough peripherals to eventually need 30 lanes. And only have 28.

And let me know how that 10 core model goes. That would be my dream CPU if I were to build one today. But at it's price it wouldn't be the one I could afford. Haha.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Wow that is an impressive upgrade. Especially on the 6800k. Not that it's any slouch. I just don't like how intel takes out 12 of the pcie lanes on the least expensive processor. I know it's to help drive people to buying the more expensice ones. And I probably wouldn't notice the difference. But still aggravating. I just like to have all upgrade options available. It would be my luck I would add enough peripherals to eventually need 30 lanes. And only have 28.

And let me know how that 10 core model goes. That would be my dream CPU if I were to build one today. But at it's price it wouldn't be the one I could afford. Haha.
For most users, the CPU lanes wont matter. Your peripherals are connecting to the Southbrige (PCH) which makes CPU lanes less important. Unless you are using a PCIe interface or a Thunderbolt interface, you will probably never tap the Northbridge besides your video card and Ram. Most boards anymore, even the majority of the PCIe slots are Southbridge, you have to specifically search out the Northbridge slots and boards that have add on TB cards, you can usually go either way.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-10-2016, 05:56 PM

@guitardom given your experience, what cpu would i have to pick to be as fast as the trash can 12 core mac pro? Because I'm still indecisive when it comes to picking either the 6 or 8 core. I wouldn't want to spend double the price if I didn't need any more power than what the 12 core trashcan would offer equally, or 8 core.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
@guitardom given your experience, what cpu would i have to pick to be as fast as the trash can 12 core mac pro? Because I'm still indecisive when it comes to picking either the 6 or 8 core. I wouldn't want to spend double the price if I didn't need any more power than what the 12 core trashcan would offer equally, or 8 core.
The 6800k / 6850k will put you right there with it. It really depends on what you want to spend. Most users doing music, that is plenty. But ultimately, I have no idea what your experience or needs are to truly recommend anything specific.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-10-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The 6800k / 6850k will put you right there with it. It really depends on what you want to spend. Most users doing music, that is plenty. But ultimately, I have no idea what your experience or needs are to truly recommend anything specific.
Mixing / Pre Production

I wish someone could do a geekbench run here with an asus x99 and the 6800k
Old 09-10-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Mixing / Pre Production

I wish someone could do a geekbench run here with an asus x99 and the 6800k
Just like the Geekbench site, its going to vary. My ability to setup and tweak a system is going to be different than the next person and that person is different from the next person and on and on. Never mind the fluctuation in processor manufacturing as no 2 processors are going to be identical, and then components used. Usually the high side of normal is pretty accurate for a properly setup system. Whether something is 20000 or 22000 for instance, its not going to make much any difference in actual performance. Its also variable as to what the task is as to what matters, single core or multicore performance. Some tasks will favor 1 over the other, so there is no magic bullet.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Just like the Geekbench site, its going to vary. My ability to setup and tweak a system is going to be different than the next person and that person is different from the next person and on and on. Never mind the fluctuation in processor manufacturing as no 2 processors are going to be identical, and then components used. Usually the high side of normal is pretty accurate for a properly setup system. Whether something is 20000 or 22000 for instance, its not going to make much any difference in actual performance. Its also variable as to what the task is as to what matters, single core or multicore performance. Some tasks will favor 1 over the other, so there is no magic bullet.
Yeah but I'd still like to see a person from the board post their results.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 AM

Is there a big difference between the 6800 and 6900k? Have you tried overclock the 6800k? Wouldn't it get very close to the 6900k's performance?