Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 AM

Default Okay to load PT 7.4 on mirrored RAID 1?

I have an old Dell Dimension 8300 desktop pc running XP Pro SP2.

Four years after I bought it new, I replaced the system drive with

a pair of WD 1601ABYS drives configured in mirrored RAID 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID These are enterprise grade

7200 RPM SATA drives connected to a Promise Technology TX2300
RAID controller card. And because I’ve been using other pcs these drives haven’t seen a whole lot of use.

However, I read long ago that PT doesn’t like to be on a RAIDed

system. But is that true of mirrored RAID 1-like I have-or striping

RAID 0? Or both?

If it’s more a question of workload vs. system resources and read/write speed, it’s true that the CPU is also an ancient Pentium 4 3.2GHz single core. And there’s only 2GB of RAM installed. But I’ll be doing no multi-track work at all. All I want to use PT for is to rip stereo tracks from my CD collection, save them as uncompressed WAV files and occasionally use Serato Pitch n Time Pro to pitch down and/or extend the length of some of the music. So Serato PnT and maybe a tweak or two of EQ are the only PT utilities or plug-ins I’ll ever want to use. And

I store all of my WAV files on an external drive, another PT requirement.

Given this situation, is loading PT 7.4.2 on my pair of mirrored RAID 1 drives safe or would it still likely cause problems? Please explain why

in either case. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Okay to load PT 7.4 on mirrored RAID 1?

What Pro Tools truly hates are Software RAIDs, a good controller card and Pro Tools is clueless about it.
But RAIDs can have reduced throughput performance than single drives that may show up as Pro Tools can't get data fast enough errors.
You're more likely to erase files than lose a drive, but it does happen and drives from the same lot number tend to die together.
Looks like your talking system drive RAID not PT Session drive RAID so you can ignore most of my rant

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Okay to load PT 7.4 on mirrored RAID 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
W
Looks like your talking system drive RAID not PT Session drive RAID so you can ignore most of my rant
Yes, the mirrored RAID 1 pair are my XP Pro SP2 system drives,
so I'm safe then, you say. Great. Thanks.