Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Default USB Drive for Omnisphere patches/samples

I need to install a copy of Omnisphere onto my laptop so I can use Omni outside my studio. My OS drive is only 250k SSD. So, I'm wondering if I can use a USB drive like this one to store and access my various Omni patch libraries?

My laptop is more than adequate to run Omni...I just don't have 65gig of empty space! I'm thinking with the USB3 external USB, I should be good to go? Is this a good option. Is there something better I should look at?

Thanks
Donald M

Old 09-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Re: USB Drive for Omnisphere patches/samples

Those "my passport" drives are the worst crap ever. They are barely 5400rpm spinner inside and i would never let one of those near my studio.

Why not buy a Lacie orange drive with a 7200rpm i side for a few dollar more and be sure that it works with streaming the audio. IMHO of course

BTW I will PM you later tonight. I have news

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Those "my passport" drives are the worst crap ever. They are barely 5400rpm spinner inside and i would never let one of those near my studio.

Why not buy a Lacie orange drive with a 7200rpm inside for a few dollar more and be sure that it works with streaming the audio. IMHO of course

BTW I will PM you later tonight. I have news

Thanks, Christopher. I thought this one was 7200 rpm. I guess I assumed since it said WD "Black"...

THanks. I'll look for your message.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Nope it's at best a 5,400 rpm drive. Possibly worse, can't tell without knowing what exact part number is inside. Western Digital external drives are usually awful and their marketing of external/consumer drives is awful, they seem to have utter contempt for their own customers. Starting with how they hide RPM specs for external drives. Simplest advice is don't but any external Westen Digital products ever.

You don't say what laptop or USB ports it has on it. But my _starting_ point for an external drive today is a Samsung T5 SSD https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Po...l%2Bdrive&th=1 Much more reliable and much higher performance than any portable spinner.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Agree SSD are a sure bet however, The size Donald want like 1TB or more for transfer files on would be a lot more money, like 4-5 times more than a 7200 rpm Lacie rugged drive and thise are really good value and are pretty well priced for the TB per dollar. Almost 3 times less than a similar SSD and for the use Donald want it for I would rather get two rugged spinners instead of a SSD that would need to have a chassie with high speed connection added.

When we worked with guys like Charlie Puth who turned us onto that drive and guys like Swedish House Mafia who are always on the road we used the Lacie Rugged drives for everything as we sent them back and forth aswell as worked on the road at hotels and such so it needed to be very secure if someone dropped the case or spilled anything Yes Yes that happened with one of the acts described above in this post hehehe Guess whom

PS. The Passport drives are only usable for storage only, backup etc but not for using audio streaming and or recording to. If you want to store photos and installers etc I wouldn't care if it was one of those drives but for audio work ... stay clear.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-11-2018, 04:17 PM

T5 1TB is $300. What is your time worth dealing with a slower drive transfers of failure of a HDD when you drop it??

A Lacie Rugged 1TB HDD is $128. $172 difference. https://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Rugged-.../dp/B00LN8QJYY And be careful because not all of those Lacie Rugged drives are 7200 rpm. The performance difference can be huge.

There are still reasons to use HDD in large drive arrays, for video, very large sample libraries, and absolutely for nearline backups/archives but most everything else, especially portable use... it's time to think SSD first.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:52 PM

+1 for external SSD.

I'll never buy another spinner - internal or external. I recently swapped my laptop internal HDD for an SSD. Did the same for my desktop's 3 internal HDDs. The old spinners are now used for backups; I got this cool dock to utilize them: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-11-2018, 05:01 PM

I agree 1million % regarding SSD's. We have swapped out every drive we have ever had to SSD for everything but we live off music and not everyone does so although I said a Lacie drive will work great for what he needs I would go SSD all the way but not all people can afford the SSD's and if you dont make money on your music interest then it doesn't make sense to go SSD for a temporary trip now and then to just store audio libraries on..

This is just MHO and sure, if you feel that money is well spent and can afford it then absolutely, however if you can't motivate the expense of SSD's as a storage option then I would get one of the Lacie Rugged which has to be 7200 rpm and say so on the specs. I was just voicing an opinion about what can work for Donald and now he has two great options

Before we went all SSD we used this one aswell and it worked great with both laptop and stationary fomputers.
This one Lacie option comes as a 3, 4 or 5 TB and has a Seagate 7200 rpm inside:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-STEX3..._title_ce?th=1

The 3TB version is very well priced at 139 USD.

PS. Good to have you back Darryl

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-12-2018, 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone. Because this drive won't be used all that much, so there won't be much wear and tear on it. I don't think I'll need to spend the extra cash for a SSD. So, for this, I'll look at the Lacie.

For my studio rig, yes, eventually I want to get to ALL SSDs. But it'll take a little time.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:09 AM

Here, all "working" drives are SSD. WD Black spinners for back-up only.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com