Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 AM

Default Re: HDX Latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
As a former TDM user, having recently upgraded to HDX, I am shocked that AAX native plugs cannot be used in record mode... (except for instrument channels) For example Waves PS-22 mono-stereo plug, will only work on playback, not for monitoring in record. (PS-22 previously utilized the TDM Accel cards for recording and playback) Most plugs cannot access the HDX hardware, except for the stock Avid plugs. Although I love the new features of PT12, the MIDI latency issue, ADC issues, etc., and lack of bona fide AAX plugs is paltry.
This non-issue has been covered to death but one more time for those who can't be assed to read a manual.

simply insert a DSP trim plugin as the first in your chain and all subsequent native plug-ins will stay enabled in record mode and input monitor mode.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan IceWood View Post
This non-issue has been covered to death but one more time for those who can't be assed to read a manual.

simply insert a DSP trim plugin as the first in your chain and all subsequent native plug-ins will stay enabled in record mode and input monitor mode.
^^....at the expense of latency. ^^

Hey so did this get all cleared up for you guys?

I have yet to fully test out my card in all real session situations....but I am curious about 12.5 to 12.8.1 (if the problems diminished)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 PM

No one so far has mentioned having compression and limiting plugins on the master bus in the “ mix as you go” scenario. As far as my experience goes this can only be done on a DSP based system. I have never accomplished this on a Native system. I also have never been able to overdub onto a pretty fully mixed track on a Native system without the player feeling considerable latency due to having to set the buffer high enough for the session to run. Mixing as you go is employed for many reasons. One of them is that the talent performs much better when they are inspired by the sound of the track. Few things are worse than having to play over a less than inspiring sounding track. I know this from personal experience and would never subject a fellow musician to it. My 2 cents.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:19 PM

I agree and having just came into a HDX card- I am curious about the problems described in the thread.

I don’t run Plugs on my masterbuss -

But since I upgraded my Sonnox plugs and plugin alliance was all AAX-DSP - I’m good on the aux sub masters without Native plugs.

Reading the manual is helpful but I still need to test the limits of the card

Old 01-25-2018, 12:31 PM

We always have mastering plugins on the master bus. There is no way that we are going to allow a mastering engineer to remix our track to his personal liking once he applies his own mastering stuff. If a track doesn’t sound great before mastering then it is the producer and mixer’s fault. If it does in fact sound great then the mastering guy should not change it. Once again, my 2 cents.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:40 PM

Default HDX Latency

Yeah I’m with you, I just have those on the submaster.

Brainworks EQ
Pultec style
Sonnox Inflator
Sonnox Limiter

All DSP

I think I started doing this years ago, b/c of the plugins post fader on the master fader deal.....several years ago when I was Vanilla Native, and it’s just been a habit ever since

When I want to fully mix I can throw in some UAD flavor.

Man I wish they did AAXDSP....that would be amazing

Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 PM

Yup, same here. Just calling it the master fader because that’s what we call it. We route that to an audio track and record it when the time comes to do that.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:51 AM

I'm experiencing something very similar, I haven't read the entire thread yet but your posts helped with the latency I was facing. I thought I invested all this money in a broken system .. So relieved to find this thread! Thank you all so much!

whenever I record arm a track, I got latency. After reading your post, I changed the track output from the bus to go straight to the my summing mixer and monitors, and voila, NO LATENCY.

I just did some quick tests which i've listed after a brief on my workflow.

Workflow:

I group audio and midi instruments to create busses which go to my 8816 summing mixer. For example, Guitars > Bus with plugins > Output 5-6 on 8816 > monitors.

Tests:

1) All plugins/instruments active. Guitar > 8816 = No Latency.
2) All plugins/instruments active. Guitar > Bus with no plugins > 8816 = Latency
3) All plugins/instruments deactivated. Guitar > Bus with no plugins > 8816 = No Latency

What's odd is that I have a session which has more or less the same exact setup but I don't get this "bus delay". Can someone maybe summarize everything for me and possibly future users. I'm reading the entire thread right after posting this.

Session Info:
48 kHz
24 bit
System Delay: 7757 samples (2319 on other session I compared to)
BWF (.WAV)

Playback Engine:
128 samples
1 GB Cache

System Usage:
CPU approximately 40% total
Disk 0%
Disk Cache 12%
Memory 15%
Voices 30/256
HDX Card has quite a few here all over 50%

Best,

M

System Specs:
Mac Pro 2013 12 core 2.7GHz
64GB RAM 256 GB SSD Storage (98 GB free)
MacOS 10.13.6
HD/IO Analog 16x16
Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.7

Echo Express III-R (thunderbolt 2 connected to Mac Pro TB bus1)
LaCie 5Big (RAID 5 mode connected to Mac Pro TB bus2 - instruments & library storage)
Neve 8816 Summing Mixer
Old 10-05-2018, 10:59 PM

It really is as simple as the fact that the bussing system introduces a delay - think of it as a middle layer that is active - introducing delay
or non active thus not intruding delay.

nothing more nothing less
Old 10-16-2018, 06:04 AM

So did they get it fixed in Por Tools 2018 I want to get a HDX system?