Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Purchased HD Nativ card on ebay..

I plugged the card in (i7 running W7 pro). I don't have a interface, and I don't have HD software...and...as far as I can tell, my system does not regognize the card at all. Is a HD interface and software required before the system will recognize th HD card?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Pro Tools HD NATIVE is an HD system that simply does not have the DSP-based processing on the card to power TDM plugins. Of course, TDM was for the HD ACCEL and HD systems, AAX is now the new protocol for the HD NATIVE while AAX DSP is the new TDM style processing for the HDX series of cards, which replaced the HD ACCEL TDM series core cards. When you purchase an HD NATIVE core card, it would have come with Pro Tools 9 HD software in the box, but that is changing over to HD10 software now that 10 is the latest version of Pro Tools. The HD NATIVE Core card requires an audio interface that is compatible with it such as an AVID HD OMNI, HD 8x8 or HD16x16 interfaces. Of course you can use the legacy I/O's but they will only work up through PT10 software. In other words they will be EOL (End of Life) as of PT11 software, probably a year from now. The Digi003 will work with Pro Tools 10, but NOT with the HD NATIVE card.

Now the issue here at hand is you bought a used card.....so only the person you bought it from is liable for what may or may have been included. I would like to think that they were honest and provided everything that was to have been licensed and owned to the card you bought, but there are many scammers out there just waiting for someone to take advantage of. Just a few hours ago I spoke to someone that was selling their Pro Tools 10 software...it was a Pro Tools LE disc. He got taken for $250.

Just so you know if you do get the licensing worked out, upgrading from the PT9 software to PT10 is $999. If you bought a brand new HD NATIVE core card, you would get that upgrade for free. How much did you pay for the card??
Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 PM

I understand I need the interface and the HD software. The sale on ebay only said "Pro Tools 9 software", which, it turns out, was NOT HD software ( I already have a PT 9 license , and have since upgraded to 10). I thought for what I paid for the card, I would be able to purcahse the HD software for a decent price, as the card and software together at most retailers is around $3500. I paid $1700 for the card. I planned on buying a "legacy" (blue) 96 I/O as a interface, and then looking on ebay (or here) for someone that may be selling a HD license. I would still end up saving $ this way, and end up with a HD setup. The thing I am most concerned about is if the HD native card is even "good", and I was hoping there was some way to "test" it , as in if my system would recognize it when I plugged it in.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM

If the software you received was NOT the HD software and only the regular Pro Tools software.....you may have been taken.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM

"HD" is not on the packaging..and the ebay add didn't only listed the software as "Pro Tools 9". I have found people selling PT H 10 ilok licenses for around $800...which is way cheaper than what the software reatils for.
So if I got the card for $1700, buy a license for $800, I would say I saved $1000 from purchasing the card and software at retail..
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Retail and what the cards sell for are two different things.... my concern is that you're actually going to get this up and running. You have to register the card before you can get any support from AVID or qualify for any upgrades. My concern is you received what you actually bought, or that you bought what you should receive. All I'm saying is----people get taken ALL the time because they don't know what they really need, or sometimes not even taken---they just don't know what they need, under purchase or buy the wrong items.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawgg View Post
The thing I am most concerned about is if the HD native card is even "good", and I was hoping there was some way to "test" it
DigiTest.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
DigiTest.
Without the proper interface connected, DigiTest will fail. HD NATIVE requires an I/O.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Without the proper interface connected, DigiTest will fail. HD NATIVE requires an I/O.
Ahhh... I see. I was thinking DigiTest validation could operate with just the seated card.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Ahhh... I see. I was thinking DigiTest validation could operate with just the seated card.
Hmmm well maybe it might, wouldn't hurt to try!