Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Pt hd options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul El View Post
If I can record with my interface and use HD software, Thats what I want. I can expand later. If I cant, then I want only what I need. I record mostly mics, guitars and keys. No drums yet. I would like the surround capabilities and shouldnt need (unless it deems) any latency preventing provisions.
Well then, the lowest cost legitimate/safe ways to do this are -

1. Look for a CPTK iLok license and use that to upgrade from standard Pro Tools to HD. (make sure you purchase the correct upgrade, there are two different ones available depending of you are goign from PT 10 to PT HD 11 or PT 11 to PT HD 11).

or

2. Buy a Pro Tool HD Native/Omni bundle and leave the HD Native PCIe card and HD Omni in their boxes. You might want to just play with the Omni anyhow.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Ok so Im looking at about 5K. Omni, PCIe and software. Am I seeing this right
Old 05-04-2014, 03:06 PM

I would do no.2. By the time the time he's done finding/buying a CPTK license and the upgrade, he'll have shelled out $1300-1500.

I would buy the Omni bundle, which gives him the HD software, use it for mixing/monitoring, and just switch the audio engine in Protools to the Saffire 40 whenever he wants to record drums, etc. Later on he can ditch the Saffire and get an HD IO when he wants to step up the quality.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Yes. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTNativeOmni/
Old 05-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ah not via the HD Native or HDX card or when that device is selected as the playback engine (e.g. non-Digilink/TDM device aggregation is not possible).

You can use Pro Tools HD software with an ASIO interface, just like standard Pro Tools. But trying to be Avid product name correct here, that is not "HD Native".
If you use an ASIO interface to record with the HD software, do you lose access to the HD software features like surround and the higher input/output channel counts, gain reduction meters and expanded metering options et. al.?

Also, if you have an HDx card, you still have the DSP from the card for plugins and low latency monitoring etc... While using an ASIO interface, do you not?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
If you use an ASIO interface to record with the HD software, do you lose access to the HD software features like surround and the higher input/output channel counts, gain reduction meters and expanded metering options et. al.?
Sort of answered above already, but HD software features (all those you mentioned and more) work independent of the hardware. The common trap is people think they'll get more ASIO/CoreAudio IO capability with the Pro Tools HD software than with standard Pro Tools.... nope, you need HD hardware used with the Pro Tools HD software for that.

Quote:
Also, if you have an HDx card, you still have the DSP from the card for plugins and low latency monitoring etc... While using an ASIO interface, do you not?
No. DSP requires use of an HDX card and a compatible Digilink/TDM interface. And it's not just a marketing decision, its is related to how the interfaces work.

And that is another common mistake, you can't just use the PCie HDN or HDX card, you need an interface attached for Pro Tools HD to work. You also can't use a HDN or HDX card with standard Pro Tools, just won't work at all, even if other DAWs can see that interface via ASIO/CoreAudio.

One way not to get too badly surprised is to just buy the bundles Avid sells.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Yes. But you should call a reputable dealer and talk. There are usually discounts available from list price.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Thank you guys for the help, I'll report back when the time comes. I'm sure I'll have a question or 2. This thread cleared up everything I was hoping it would. Thx again.