Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Audio Post Basic Plug ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctv mtl View Post
Couldnt live without Speakerphone(!)... and you do get some IRs from Altiverb with it!

My 2 hz...

Franky
+1

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 04-05-2014, 04:46 AM

speaker phone is nice - but is it essential? - u can do similiar things -just less conveniently without it...

u need a good verb that can do a few things...

1) for open space feel - slap back echo type of thing..

2) small room

3) hall sized effects..

Izotope is a total bonus..

u need a good compressor limit..
Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM

You can do a lot with the basic plugs and really good editing.

Out of all the non-stock plugs the one I reach for by far the most is Izotope RX (currently using RX3 advanced and well worth every penny, especially since it's on sale this month). If you can only buy one thing buy that.

I'd also consider a good reverb essential, to echo what others have said here (sorry bad pun). I was able to get by with TL Space and Reverb One for years (and still use Space often), but the Exponential Audio verbs are really quite fantastic.

Trying to think of other plugs I use in every session, the Massey L2007 is my go-to limiter (and also very inexpensive) but will likely have to be retired soon if not updated (probably to be replaced with the Avid Pro Limiter, we'll see).

I also use a combination of WNS and W43 (can often be found on monthly sale for inexpensive). I find using the both of them a little in conjunction with RX is way better than using just one of them a lot. (Would put Cedar on here for quality but it's priced out of many people's budget ranges, including my own at present time).

I use compression very little in my sessions, mostly just to catch stray peaks, I do a lot of fader riding instead. The stock Avid compressor would serve fine for this if you are just looking for a basic list. I use a C6 for noise reduction, but you can get by without it.

And the last go-to plug I use a lot for film mixes is a good upmixing plugin for score (if you are working in surround). The Waves UM226 is probably your cheapest option, and it's decent not great but will get you by. Anymix Pro is likely your next step up in terms of price and quality, and there is currently a big debate going on between Penteo and Auromatic in terms of really great quality but those are also priced high enough that they can't be considered 'basic' plugins.

By far the most common plugs I use in post though are the stock EQ3, and the stock Pitch Shift for sound design rendering work. And lots and lots of editing and fader riding.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:05 PM

if anyone is interested in UM225/6 I got a spare licence I could part with cheaply. PM me...

Altiverb by far the most versatile verb in my books. RX3 very very useful, not sure if the advanced version is really needed, especially when budget is tight...?!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lululu View Post
if anyone is interested in UM225/6 I got a spare licence RX3 very very useful, not sure if the advanced version is really needed, especially when budget is tight...?!
For RX1 and RX2 I would have agreed with you, there wasn't a very big difference between normal and Advanced in those, at least not for the big price gap.

For RX3 though there are additional modules and features in the Advanced portion that make it worth it. Obviously it all depends on your individual position and budget, get only what you need, but to me I find the RX3 Advanced is worth the cost, especially when it's on discounted sale like at the moment.