Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2001, 05:55 PM

Default reverb/delay/effects etc.- recommendations??

The dverb and other effects (EQ, deesser etc.) are not very good. I need to know what anyone else recommends,where to buy and cost. I am particularly interested in reverb, eq for my vocals; they need all they can get. I'm using a PC not a Mac. thanks in advance

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: MrMike ]
Old 06-19-2001, 10:12 PM

Default Re: reverb/delay/effects etc.- recommendations??

IMHO, the best RTAS reverb on the market is the Realverb by Kind of Loud. http://www.kindofloud.com/

I also like Waves' TruVerb for some things. www.waves.com

The (arguably) best-sounding RTAS EQ is the McDSP FilterBank. Bomb Factory may also be shipping their Pultec EQ (don't know). I'm sure it sounds good, too. www.mcdsp.com and www.bombfactory.com

The Waves Renaissance EQ is also not bad.

Don't forget to upgrade your Digi compressor with the McDSP CompressorBank, Bomb Factory Classic Comps, or Waves Renaissance Compressor...BIG difference.

I'm partial to the McDSP stuff because it sounds great AND it's very effecient in it's CPU usage compared to most of the others.

However, NO RTAS plugin will substitute for a Lexicon PCM91 for your reverb. I think the Realverb sounds a bit better than the Lexicon MPX500 myself - opinions may vary.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 06-21-2001, 09:42 PM

Hey,
I got a bootleg version of waves 2.8 (didin't install properly with installer) and can't seem to get any of the plugs to run RTAS including RealVerb. Am I doing anything wrong or should I just bite the bullet and buy waves 3.0. I will eventually buy them anyway but I would like to confirm that they will run RTAS.
Thanks,
JE
Old 06-22-2001, 05:15 PM

The bombfactory pulltec eq is pretty good. Bombfactory also makes a joe meek Meequalizer which I use A LOT. I beleive they have demo version of both of them which you can download and see which one you like. www.bombfactory.com

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: executivos ]
Old 06-23-2001, 11:35 AM

MrMike--I agree with LW that Realverb (in plug-in land) is Very good.

I actually use d-verb on the non-lin setting for fattening the VX. This with the realverb is Fabulous....

Jedmond--I would Not destroy MY reputation on this DUC by letting everyone know that you are trying to use "bootleg" software of any kind.
IF you are really interested in these plugs, you can download a "DEMO" and see how indespensible the Waves Gold really is, and you can do this with everyones blessing.
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 06-24-2001, 08:06 AM

Well, ah, I disagree with your opinion of the D-verb - I think it's pretty great - but here's what I'd recommend. Get a DBX 376. It's a tube channel strip with all the tools you need, plus it has its own converters (they rock) with selectable word length, dither type, etc. Plugs into the 001 through the S/PDIF and sounds spectacular. And it WILL NOT pass an over. Period. Makes your tracks sound nice and warm - like they were recorded on an old analog deck. Highly recommended.