Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Default Re: -24lkfs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Respectfully disagree. Its actually the standard.
From my understanding it's actually dependent on room size, either way, -20LKFS shouldn't be too loud at all, if it was TV mixes would end up with a very small LRA measurement. To answer the OP's point about having -20LKFS and limiting to -10dBFS, it's very simply because your dBFS reading is taken from the maximum peak, your LUFS of -20 reading is the short-term average.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:21 AM

Default Re: -24lkfs?

The spec for delivery is that the average loudness for the whole programme is -24LKFS also known as the Integrated loudness (I). Being an average that allows you to go above for things like gun shots and screams and below for quiet whispering sections. The variation because loud and quiet is the Loudness Range (LRA). The Momentary (M) and short-term (S) are there to help you mix, they are not usually requirements in the delivery spec. Work in a calibrated room, fix normally and see what happens. If the integrated loudness of your mixes is too high, then turn you monitors up a little, so if your mixes are coming in at -22 then turn your monitors up by 2dBs.

For more info check out my articles on Pro Tools Expert and I also produce a video tutorial series on loudness workflows https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...l-should-watch

Hope that helps.

Mike