Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2001, 07:58 AM

Default Spectra Foo

I have been impressed with this demo. Anyone have any comments ?

John@ 58Th Street Studio
Old 03-04-2001, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Spectra Foo

Spectrafoo is just amazing. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and couldn't record or mix without it anymore! I'm running the stand-alone version on a dedicated old Mac (8100 with Newer G3), with an Audiomedia II card as input device (the SPDIF digital in is 24bit capable).The software is totally crash-proof, and the guys at Metric Halo are very nice and extremely helpful. In two words: Thoroughly recommended.

Didier
Old 03-05-2001, 09:48 AM

Ditto... what great software. Being able to see what's going on has had a big influence on my ability to hear problems, frequencies, phasing, etc. And besides, it looks really cool.

And yeah, great tech support.

Later,
Brian
Old 03-05-2001, 11:58 AM

Clients love to look at it. I don't know about the crash proof part. Great tool though.

Old 03-05-2001, 02:58 PM

This is another topic that caught my attention, I haven't read a lot about the spectrafoo but I've noticed a lot of people has it, I don't really get the idea of what it does but do you think it would help to have it in a control room that is not really accurate?......that's my case, my room needs to be tuned and right now I have to do all kinds of tricks to get my mixes sounding decently, any info, advice, etc. will be greatly appreciated!
Best regards, Vedderman
Old 03-06-2001, 12:11 AM

I have been using SpectraFoo Complete (stand alone version)for about a year now. It is truly a "must have" tool. I don't know how I would have been able to complete our projects with out it. It is wonderful eye candy too! The support has always been first class. I also highly recommend it.
Old 03-06-2001, 01:41 PM

Vedderman,

You could use Spectrafoo to get a quick check on the frequency response of your monitoring system, by checking how flat pink noise appears through a very flat microphone (BK or Earthworks for instance). Be sure to check it in several places in and around your listening area: if you see huge differences when you move the mike, you can bet that your room needs heavy acoustic treatment! If, on the other hand, you see some correlation in your different measurements, let's say a big boost in the mid-bass for instance, than you could try to adjust either the switches or controls of you speakers if they're of the active type, or inserting a good-quality equalizer to attenuate the offensive frequency band provided it's not too sharp. You could even do that in Pro Tools if your mix path differs from your monitoring one.
I know that frequency response is only a small part of monitoring accuracy ( reverberation, phase and transient response being some others), but it's a start, and something that you can readily measure with Spectrafoo and possibly improve upon with good results.

Hope this helps a bit.

Didier
Old 03-06-2001, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang Eller:
If you like you can check this one out.
www.masterpinguin.de/
It`s way faster, more precise and has some more features that are really important. (RTA: white or pink noise is flat)
Foo can do that, too!
(Wow, I should sell that phrase to MHLabs... Dan, are you reading? Just send me a Channelstrip for free and you can use that phrase... ;-) ).

Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter Duemmler (edited March 06, 2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 12:05 AM

If you like you can check this one out.
www.masterpinguin.de/
It`s way faster, more precise and has some more features that are really important. (RTA: white or pink noise is flat)
The only thing: it just runs on a PC.
But otherwise it`s perfect.
Regards Wolfgang

------------------
Wolfgang Eller
SRS Mastering/Germany
WWW.SRS-Mastering.de
[email protected]
Old 03-07-2001, 12:57 AM

OK can be that I checked out an older version of SF but it always seems to me that all the meters where very slow compared to the pinguin.
BTW.: The company which is producing this audio meter is doing the programming for Weiss and Bob Katz (http://www.digido.com/) is recommending this programm, which speaks for itself.

Regards Wolfgang