Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2001, 07:50 PM

Default Question about Crossfading

Hey guys this is my first posting to the list, I have been keeping up with everything for a while. But I am having a problem with crossfading. Say I have a guitar or vocal we'll say. It runs for 4 measures. I then pull down the same file (or just copy and paste the track, you know what I mean) ok now this is where I have problems. Without a crossfade there normally is a click or a pop. So I was told to either fade out, the end of the first, then a quick fade in for the second track. Or what I was told to barely overlap the second on the first to get the crossfade. But if I do that wouldn't things begin to be off time, because I synched up to the click track, and will be putting MIDI on there. I had an idea last night to have the first track run a beat or two long, then that would allow me to then move the second region on to the first, that worked as a crossfade, but the whole thing seemed off tempo and conflicting. Any help, either post here or send me an email at [email protected]
Old 01-24-2001, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Question about Crossfading

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieDingle:
Hey guys this is my first posting to the list, I have been keeping up with everything for a while. But I am having a problem with crossfading. Say I have a guitar or vocal we'll say. It runs for 4 measures. I then pull down the same file (or just copy and paste the track, you know what I mean) ok now this is where I have problems. Without a crossfade there normally is a click or a pop. So I was told to either fade out, the end of the first, then a quick fade in for the second track. Or what I was told to barely overlap the second on the first to get the crossfade. But if I do that wouldn't things begin to be off time, because I synched up to the click track, and will be putting MIDI on there. I had an idea last night to have the first track run a beat or two long, then that would allow me to then move the second region on to the first, that worked as a crossfade, but the whole thing seemed off tempo and conflicting. Any help, either post here or send me an email at [email protected]
Old 01-24-2001, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Question about Crossfading

EddieDingle,
Before anything else, go into the operations menu and set the default crossfade to 0ms. When you make your edits, be sure to cut the waveforms at the zero point (ie. where the signal crosses the baseline). Next, if you still have a click at the edit point, highlight the area just to the left and right of the edit point where the click is. I usually do this in grid mode so that I get an even amount of the incoming and outgoing waves to crossfade with. Then hit the command for the crossfade menu. Select whatever parameters seem to make to best fade for your purpose, try the preview before you commit to it, then make the crossfade. I would suggest saving the session frequently while performing crossfades. I have had the system crash a few times while writing crossfade files for some reason.
Anyhow, best of luck with it. Check out the manual if you need further explaination.