How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Default PT 9 Install on FF800 -> Loops

Hi

Ok, well let me begin by saying that around about 2007 I said goodbye to Protools as I was greatly disatisfied with PT's ideology regarding its customer base and migrated to Logic and RME FF 800, move to 2010 ... PT 9 on my own gear, I couldn't resist.

So Digi, if your listening, please learn from the past and be competitive in the market place and provide the best possible gear you can for the best possible prices. Also, product loyalty is a two way street I vote with my feet / credit card.

Anyway, so now I've loaded up my PT 9 and the install package came with a Driver disk and a Loops disk.

My RME FF 800 has the latest drivers, so at install I didn't install the Drivers disk, the Main installer disk didn't give me an option to install the Loop disk.

PT is up and running, just not sure a bout the Loop disk.

Can any one point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

S

MacPro 2008
OSX.6.6
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: PT 9 Install on FF800 -> Loops

Not sure about PT9 cause i did the download, but when i had 8, it came with a disk of loops, audio, etc. You do this separately from the install. Just pop in the disk. Everything should be cool.

If you don't mind me asking, how is the FF800 with PT9? I'm about to purchase one after being slightly dissatisfied with the MBox Pro. Any insight would be awesome.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how is the FF800 with PT9? I'm about to purchase one after being slightly dissatisfied with the MBox Pro. Any insight would be awesome.
Completely off topic but is it the Mbox2 Pro? or the new Mbox Pro that you're dissatisfied with?
Pro Tools 10.0
Apogee Duet
M-Audio BX5A's
Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 AM

the new 3rd gen.

the short story is:

first one i got didn't power up. second one, headphone out didn't work. (corrected with a long call to Avid Support) Once working, i was treated to awesome sound quality. Clean and crisp, not at all muddy. Soon though, i was plagued with constant errors, and eventually it wouldn't even play at all. Something to do with sample rate not being in sync. And after banging my head against the wall for some time, it was time for a return.

Really sucks, cause when it's working, it's awesome.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 AM

Hi

I've only had PT up and running for a day. I've just done a simple acoustic track or two, no drama's at all.

In terms of build / driver quality I only ever had my Digi001 and then then my FF800.

The RME FF800 was a no brainer. It's a strange beast. On the front of the panel it starts at input 1 and then goes input 7 8 9 10.

Logic is truly a comprehensive program. However after messing around with both for around ten years now, I think Logic is for keyboard players and PT is for guitarist's. I come from the latter.

Apple's loop library is something else and I really enjoy it's ability to create copyright free music for soundtracks, but for all it's IMHO superior features, PT is the easiest to edit.

People rave about AD/DA converter quality, I can tell you that I am sure the RME converters are superior to what I was used with my '001.

However, I always believe that sound is a purely subjective beast. Something that gets your toes taping, recorded on any no-name brand system, compared to something that is technically brilliant and recorded on a $zillion dollar system somehow misses the point.

Provided you can hear it and you are enjoying it, who cares.

Having said all that, my mixing desk is now 10 years old and currently in the repair shop.

I've been drooling over the A&H ZED r 16.

$3000 worth here in OZ, now if only I can convince my wife how much better her life would be with one of those baby's.

When will it end?

Cheers

s
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM

Nice,

I'm thinking now i should've gone with the Fireface in the first place. Would've saved me months of waiting, and a bottle or two of headache medicine. I've actually been doing a lot of work in Ableton Live 8, when i'm not using my 11R, or just editing in PT9.

I actually have Logic Pro as well, and i agree that the supplied audio content is really cool. Just wish it wasn't .caf.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack