Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Default Re: can not maximize pro tools window???

Does anybody know if there is a fix for this yet?

If I have Pro Tools open and I am working on a session and I minimize Pro Tools to check another program or info maybe in a folder that is on my desktop when I am done and click on the Pro Tools icon in the task bar PT will not maximize? The only way to maximize it is to push Control + Alt + Delete and then right click on PT and then choose maximize and it brings it back up. I have been using the newest version of PT for 4 months without this happening.
It happened after I changed a setting in my Bios to try and see if it would help another issue I was having with my hardware and sound playback. This change did not help so I went back into the Bios and changed it back to the way it was before the change.
There has to be an easy fix for this.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:12 PM

I have had this problem with Pro Tools for several years now and I have not come up with a solution or even solid idea as to why it's happening. I have been running Windows 10 with Pro Tools 12.2 for a while now. I know that Pro Tools isn't tested with Windows 10 yet but, I am a bit of a thrill seeker so I just went ahead and did it. Well, it's been working very well for a couple of months, in fact Windows 10 has been very stable, no issues with any other software. As I mentioned, I have had the "won't maximize" issues for quite a while. I had it in Windows 7 with Pro Tools 10 and 11, I've been using Pro Tools since 7. I was very happy that I was not having the problem with Windows 10 running Pro Tools 11, then I upgraded to 12, still no issues. It wasn't until Pro Tools 12.3 that the problem came back. I knew in the back of my mind that it would come back, and it did. I once had several ways to return back to "maximized". That is until now, I now only have one way to max my screen, all others have failed me. I have to use the Task Manager as others have mentioned. The situation is very frustrating, especially when people don't understand what you are trying to say. I used to think that I was the only one to experience this until I came here. I the only way that I have ever stopped it is by reinstalling my OS, which is something that I really don't enjoy doing. Eventually one day it just suddenly starts up and I have no ideal why.
Anyway, thanks for taking time to champion the cause, I truly appreciate it.
Maybe one day there will be a cure. : )

Cheers!
Old 11-22-2015, 06:07 AM

I have the same problem w win7 pro, and 12.3

My work around is to right click the PT icon at the bottom, choose the file I am working, and then hit cancel when I get to the "Save" dialog.

The alt-tab way doesn't work for me, as PT pops up full screen for a half second, and the minimizes again.

The task manager way is slow.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:47 PM

I recently upgraded to PT 12 (from 10) and am now having this issue. I also discovered that opening a session and then cancelling gets me working again on PT. Would love a proper fix though.

Also, I wish the first 3 pages of this discussion weren't taken up by pointless arguing about why we shouldn't need to be minimizing. Totally absurd.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Has anyone found a solution to this?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM

Never had this problem with any version of PT from 8 to 12.5.2 under Win7 Ultimate. Are you sure it is not a settings problem?
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 PM

Same problem here. I have to go to task manager right click on pro tools and click maximize. I think I may switch DAWS.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:01 PM

I'm having the same issue, only worse...many of us have an app that needs to run in the background that goes with our interface, like a mixer/interface app. I had one with my Scarlet interface, and now one with my Audient (for my Win 7 laptop) and most recently, my Midas VeniceF24 console has one. On BOTH of my systems, laptop and studio, PT12 is simply not usable because of this bug. In both cases for me, there is NO WAY to get back to my PT screen if I click off of it for any reason--even to open Explorer to look for a file. Once I am "off" of my PT screen, there is no way to get back to it. I just spent the entire day uninstalling and installing every version of PT12 that I have--12.5, then 12.4 (thanks to Avid for providing that link for me on such short notice), then 12.3, and then just now, 12.0. I simply can't use PT12 at all on either system.

The work arounds that you guys mention just don't work for me. I have to hover over the PT icon in the task bar, and click the X in the corner, to get the session to shut down. If I try to load another one and hit cancel or any of the other tricks you guys have mentioned, it just stays the way it is. Very, very frustrating. I've had PT12 for over a year now, I do sessions every day and do this professionally, and I have not been able to do a single session in any version of PT12. PT10.3.7 is great, but it's not 64bit and there are so many advantages in PT12 that I really want (offline bounce being the main one).

There simply has to be a fix for this? It just seems so simple?
Old 09-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudioeditor View Post
Same problem here...
I see that you contacted support about this with PT 12.5.2 and they suggested checking for a disc in your optical drive (removing that allowed PT to maximize correctly). It might be helpful to hear from others if the presence of a CD/DVD is a factor or not. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:56 PM

No optical disks in the drive. This problem happens on both of my completely different PCs. Very annoying, still hoping it gets addressed.