Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2002, 11:02 AM

Default Mixing question

Hello

I am thinking of purchasing the M-box system. However, I do have some queries about Pro Tools LE. Perhaps I should describe what I would like to do with it.

I wanna do mixed sets. The DJ style types like Global Underground series(They are done on Pro Tools anyway). I currently use Acid Pro 3 to do it. With its Beatmapping feature, it is quite simple, with digital originals of the tracks(stuff ripped off vinyl won't work as the BPM is not constant).

However, I wish to upgrade my home studio computer. And I am considering an eMac with the Mbox. Wonder if Pro Tools LE can perform the task mentioned in the above paragraph. Of course, I wouldn't expect it to be exactly identical to Acid. Just as long as I'm able to produce to same results, I can live with the change [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also, from some of the posting I've read here. Beat Detective is not included with PT LE?
Old 07-11-2002, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Mixing question

No, Beat Detective is TDM only.

I dunno much about the Acid-type capabilites in LE, but I think Acid is more streamlined for the kind of thing you want to do. Pro Tools is really strong in editing (and mixing, recording) but not really the "all-in-one loop machine" (doesn't do Rex files, time stretching is not as simple, etc).

You'll have to come up with slick ways of doing what you want... but you CAN pretty much accomplish anything you can imagine... it's just that it's not specialized for it like Acid is. Maybe someone else can compare the work flow between the two for you.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:42 AM

what i like to do is use mini tape cassetes. and mix it all on that. then i dub them to a dat tape and there you go. non stop party mix.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:47 AM

There is no Beat Detective in Pro Tools LE. The Beatmapper feature in ACID will save you a lot of time for what you're doing. That being said, there is a way to do it in LE also. I can't remember the exact procedure, but it can be done.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:48 AM

I use both.
They do not do the same thing.

D
Old 07-12-2002, 09:04 AM

Mbox is just fine for what you want to do. Make sure you get the most powerful mac you can afford, as Mbox & Digi001 are dependent on CPU power & RAM. I don't know ACID or how it works. For beat matching i use a combination of, or, one of, the following.... pitch control on the decks(!), Serato Pitch n Time (easily the best stretcher), and grid mode. Good Luck.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:22 PM

As a Disc Jockey I know excatly what your talking about. However, the guys on global underground do their dj sets a lil different. If your a DJ ProTools its a great way of tracking your dj sets and cleaning up your mixes. As far on how their mixes come out so damn clean well the either mix really good...and trust me if your a good dj you can beat match just as good as John Digweed. However, the best way (if your coming from records dump one song at a time....make sure that the beats match and align and mix)take advantage of plug ins....just remember don't make your dj sets to unbelievable ...cuz it would really suck if you cant perform as good as mad your Cd....
I make beats - Love that line
Old 07-17-2002, 02:12 AM

Taken from the Digi's Pro Tools TDM page.

Quote:
One such utility is Beat Detective, a revolutionary utility that saves hours of editing time. This multi-track rhythm analysis and repair software intelligently corrects compromised timing in performances that have strong transient points, such as drums, bass and rhythm guitar. Beat Detective allows the user to define a tempo map from a performance, conform the performance, and then customize it. The result is a series of automatic edits that produce a smooth, natural sounding and very "musical" performance.

As is the case with Beat Detective, the Strip Silence utility works over multiple tracks. Strip Silence eliminates audio material below a user-definable threshold for gating out unwanted audio quickly and efficiently.
Many other useful editing operations have recently augmented Pro Tools, including multiple undos, Tab to Transient for creating easy loops, a Universe Window overview that allows you to quickly move to any point in your session, and Auto Save capabilities that save your session at user-defined intervals.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, I guess this feature will come in handy. But I don't think I'm in the market for a TDM system. Sigh. In only there's a Mac version of Acid that is compatible with Pro Tools LE. Oh well.....