Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Length of MIDI notes makes no sense

Hi,

I am trying to record MIDI drums using an electric drum set connected via USB to my computer triggering superior drummer 2.0.

When I try to record I see in the midi editor that nots aren't recorded when I hit the pads but moved to start where the previous note stops.

Ive attached an example.

Does any one know how to solve this?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skærmbillede 2018-02-17 kl. 19.50.04.jpg (57.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Length of MIDI notes makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOY View Post
Hi,

I am trying to record MIDI drums using an electric drum set connected via USB to my computer triggering superior drummer 2.0.

When I try to record I see in the midi editor that nots aren't recorded when I hit the pads but moved to start where the previous note stops.

Ive attached an example.

Does any one know how to solve this?

thanks
Take a look at the settings in your ekit's drum brain for sensitivity, crosstalk and so on. Your pads might be set so sensitive that they're picking up hits before you actually think you hit the pads. Of course if you have perfect timing then you shouldn't have a problem with hit timing. Some pads can be set so sensitive that merely resting a stick on them triggers a sound. Been there and had that happen. Had to make adjustments which in the case of my setup which is Yamaha based finding out what to change and how to change it is a nightmare.

Let us know what specific ekit you're using and maybe we can help you better. Drums is but one of my major instruments besides keys & guitars.

QAPLA!
Old 02-18-2018, 01:33 AM

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

Tried messing around with the sensitivity settings. it doesn't seem to be causing the issue.

When playing the drum kit, everything is played back correctly

Its just when I record that PT consistently moves every note to where the previous note ended, which makes me think sth. is set up incorrectly.

The module is a produced under a private label for gear4music
Model number is DD 480X
Old 02-18-2018, 07:52 AM

I wonder if maybe your session has the input quantize setting checked. To see, look at Event > Event Operations > Input Quantize. Some of the notes in your pic appear to be quantized, but others don’t. That’s all I can think of to check in PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 PM

So Im also having trouble with MIDI. I see i have the "Midi note length" issue as well. But I also see the timing of the midi recording is NOT what was played on the midi controller. I tested this with my other macbook pro PT system. I use a quantized drum loop for playback and when lined up with the midi track on my macpro system IS DIFFERENT in timing. I got some length changes as well, but not many in my 2 minute midi track.
I first noticed this a month ago when tracking a band with MIDI drums. The HiHat notes obviously were changed from what he played. (not in the groove at all).... I know im using an old midi IO interface and that may be an issue. I have not tried this with a USB midi device. It would be interesting to see if the midi recording groove changes like when I use an external midi interface (midi IO). I dont have a usb device with a sequencer at this time. If anyone can try that test Id be interested in the results.

thanks!

Mac Pro:
PT 11.3.2 HD native, MIDI IO, 96IO
Mac Pro Desktop 4,1 osx 10.11.6., 8 Core 2.26GHz 2009 Intel Xeon MB535LL/A 16GB RAM 640GB HD ATI 4870
-----
MBP:
OS 10.11.6, MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz, Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06, SMC Version (system):1.33f8