Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-09-2014, 08:05 PM

Default Fades

1st time posting here and a rather novice pro tools 10 user.

I want to be able to fade certain elements within a track. I have read the manual and tried much of what it says but nothing gets me what I want.

It would seem that I would need to use the "CREATE" function in the "EDIT\FADES" drop drown. But the CREATE option has never been available it's always grayed out.

I am on a PC running the latest build of 10.

Amy help will be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Fades

Hi.

Try to select the area just befor and after a region end or start point.
Then the fade menu will be activated in the menu.

Keyboard shortcut for creating fades is Ctrl + F

Here is a video tutorial on creating fades in Pro Tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWCDrJH3qM
Old 01-11-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Hi.

Try to select the area just befor and after a region end or start point.
Then the fade menu will be activated in the menu.

Keyboard shortcut for creating fades is Ctrl + F

Here is a video tutorial on creating fades in Pro Tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWCDrJH3qM
Maybe I am misunderstanding something. On the track I have an ending of a guitar solo that was held to long and need to fade it sooner so it doesn't conflict with the singing when it comes back in. I select the section (last 4 seconds of the guitar solo) I want to fade but the CREATE function does not become active. I did try the Ctrl + F before and no active CREATE.

Is this incorrect?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had already watched this video and several others but it does not address what it is I am trying to accomplish.

I have a guitar solo end that was held out to long and needs' to end sooner.

I want to fade the last 6 seconds so it ends sooner than it does now.

I select the area I want to create a fade on but the CREATE function never becomes active.

Ctrl+F doesn't bring anything up either.

Suggestions anyone?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:04 AM

You can always change the edit window display to show you the volume "line" on that track and then manually just draw the fade. Selecting the region and Ctrl-F'ing it should work but the manual method allows you do whatever you want as well. Just change "waveform" to "volume" on that track, pick the hand tool, add a handle for where you want the fade to start and where you want it to end, then drag the ending one down and you'll see the volume line show the decrease. Then you have to have automation turned on for that track and the fade will follow your instructions.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
I select the area I want to create a fade on but the CREATE function never becomes active.
Suggestions anyone?
Do not select the AREA for the fade out, just make a timeline INSERTION where the fade should start and hit "G".
For a fade in timeline INSERTION and "D".
For a crossfade, select the AREA and "F".
All above : with keyboard focus set to the edit window, otherwise check PT shortcuts guide version 10.2 , p.26.
Or PT Ref Guide version 10.3 , p.620 , right side.
An INSERTION is a click in the edit window at a point of time, no dimension, no duration.

And will you are at it :
"A" = delete everything before the insertion
"S" = delete everything after the insertion

A S D F G : all lined up on the keyboard in a logical way.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Do not select the AREA for the fade out, just make a timeline INSERTION where the fade should start and hit "G".
For a fade in timeline INSERTION and "D".
For a crossfade, select the AREA and "F".
All above : with keyboard focus set to the edit window, otherwise check PT shortcuts guide version 10.2 , p.26.
Or PT Ref Guide version 10.3 , p.620 , right side.
An INSERTION is a click in the edit window at a point of time, no dimension, no duration.

And will you are at it :
"A" = delete everything before the insertion
"S" = delete everything after the insertion

A S D F G : all lined up on the keyboard in a logical way.
While nice to know none of these accomplish what I asked. What I am asking is to fade a portion of a track. Tried them all.

I have attached an image of the area I want to fade. None of the options suggested here or I have read in PT or viewed on YouTube seems to be able to do this. The selected area is where I wish to do the fade on the track.

I know it must be a no brainier but I just can't find the answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fade.jpg (50.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-11-2014, 02:40 PM

From the image you attached, what I think you are looking to do is not a fade, but to lower the volume of the selection to some lower level. A fade implies going from the current volume to zero volume over some time interval. You can accomplish lowering the volume of that selection by using automation as suggested above. Set the automation to "Write" mode. Back up a few measures and hit Play. When you get close to the area you are wanting to alter, bring down the fader (easier using a control surface, but you can use a mouse). When you want to get back up to the normal volume, bring the fader back up. Then you can fine tune the automation by dragging markers around.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
From the image you attached, what I think you are looking to do is not a fade, but to lower the volume of the selection to some lower level. A fade implies going from the current volume to zero volume over some time interval. You can accomplish lowering the volume of that selection by using automation as suggested above. Set the automation to "Write" mode. Back up a few measures and hit Play. When you get close to the area you are wanting to alter, bring down the fader (easier using a control surface, but you can use a mouse). When you want to get back up to the normal volume, bring the fader back up. Then you can fine tune the automation by dragging markers around.
I understand that and have done it many times. I just wanted to try a fade and found out that I couldn't. Seems you should be able to do fades anywhere you want but apparently this is not so.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM

Are you wanting to fade from the beginning of the highlighted section to the end of the section? To accomplish that using fade, you need to first define that section as a separate region. (You may need to have a tiny amount of blank space between the end of the region and the start of the next). Then highlight from the very end of the previous region, through the end of the region you want to fade and hit "Control" and "F". Let us know if that works.

Correction: What I said above about creating a separate region for the audio to be faded is wrong. That would give you a crossfade between 2 regions, which you don't want in this situation. Delete a portion of the audio from the area you want the fade to occur in. If you want a quick fade, delete a lot of the audio, for a long fade, leave most of it. Then highlight from where you want to start the fade, to the end and Control F.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.

Last edited by mjslakeridge; 01-11-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Correct erroneous info