Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-04-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Problem opening saved Pro Tools sessions with Reason plug-in

Hello all,

I've never posted for assistance in this forum, so please forgive me if I overlook any points of "forum etiquette"....

Anyway, I've been having problems for a while opening any previously created/saved sessions wherein I had the Reason plug-in being used as an insert. I'm not 100% sure that the problem relates to Reason, but I'm somewhat confident that it does.

When I try and open the session, it opens, then Reason automatically opens in Re-Wire mode....but then Pro Tools freezes and that annoying "Pro Tools has encountered an error and must close" window comes up. Also worthy of mentioning is that during the brief view of the Edit window of my session that I get, I notice that some of the audio regions in the main Edit window are "greyed out" -- as if Pro Tools couldn't find them on the hard drive. And on the left-hand side track view column, the "DYN" button is solid blue/grey. I'm not sure what this means and I have no clue what the cause of this error is. I have even tried opening Pro Tools, then opening Reason and the appropriate Reason session before I even try to open the Pro Tools session, and that doesn't seem to help. I also tried re-installing Pro Tools completely. The same error keeps occuring.

One other thing that I did discover is that, for some reason, Pro Tools has no problem opening the backup sessions. It will open any of the backup sessions just fine, even if the Reason plug-in is active within the session...yet it won't open the regular saved session. This is annoying because I can open the most recent backup session, but it is still missing a lot of work that I already did after the most recent backup.

Last but not least, I am somewhat sure that this problem relates to the Reason plug-in because I can open all my other session files with no problem as long as they don't have the Reason plug-in inserted on any track. Only the sessions where I used Reason give me a problem. Also, one in every ten times or so that I try to open one of those sessions that has the Reason plug-in on a track, I will get an error (right before pro tools crashes) which says something like "Pro Tools could not find the following plug-ins in the plug-ins folder: Reason(1)".

Here are my system specs:

Pro Tools LE 7.0
Digi 002 (rack)
Acer Aspire PC w/ AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor
1.00 GB RAM
Windows XP Pro (SP2)

I have had this computer for about a year, and Pro Tools has always run smoothly for me. I only started having this problem recently, and I can't think of any major changes I've made to my system or anything else that would have caused the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!!

~ Chris
Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Problem opening saved Pro Tools sessions with Reason plug-in

Is this a dual core laptop? if so than read this from the compatibilty page on digidesign.com

Quote:
ACER Dual Core Laptops are Incompatible with Digidesign FireWire & USB Peripherals

Incompatible with 003, 003 Rack, Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack, Mbox 2 Pro, Mbox 2, Mbox 2 Mini, and Mbox

ACER dual core laptops — all models
This does not neccesarily mean that it is the problem, I´ve successfully configured 2 acer dual core laptops for Pro tools and they run flawlessly.

Try importing your session data into a new session, if it freezes while importing your reason tracks, then don´t import them with the other data, do it seperately and don´t import the reason plugin. Then you can start assigning reason again to the tracks.

I have no idea on the other hand why this happens, sorry.

www.syrland.is
www.sturluson-music.com
Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Avid

Default Re: Problem opening saved Pro Tools sessions with Reason plug-in

Besides the above, what version of Reason are you running? Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Problem opening saved Pro Tools sessions with Reason plu

hey kRokksOn,

It's actually an Acer dual core desktop... sorry, I should have specified. Completely compatible with Pro Tools LE and my 002r. As I said, I've had no problems for a year so since I've been running Pro Tools on this computer. Thanks for responding though!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Problem opening saved Pro Tools sessions with Reason plu

have you reinstalled a new version of reason? have you moved or renamed any reason folders? do you have all reason updates installed i beleive they have some later versions of rewire.
like digi says maybe a uninstall reinstall of reason may help.
also, session may have gotten corrupted , can you try importing session data to a new session track by track,one by one?