Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Attention Avid Audio: Where do I send the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
I think you are right about this.
I have HD and LE and would not like it if Digi would offer identical versions of PT in both HD and LE.
Not only would I not like it because of wasted money in HD (which so far I don't feel like I have wasted considering how much more I like HD) but also because it would make me look like the fool I really am.
Many other HD users I have spoken with feel the same way.
It would cause a major uproar among a very specific target market they wouldn't want to loose.

GD

Respect, but as a consumer, I don't really care what your investment means to you or if they offer it cheaper later. It doesnt make you look more foolish or whatever. The oceans of technology changes, we all have to change with it. The TDM stuff is great, but as far as new stuff for home consumers or project studios, the tech is here. It's up to the software companies to take advantage of it, and they are. How you feel is not really relevant to direction going forward. People don't leave technology they've invested in because there are discounts later.

I think the bottom line still comes down to whatever hardware the user needs. If i want Native Pro tools ADC and to buy a two channel HD converter i should, and digi should let me. Maybe they should offer the hardware too and sell it to me. If i need 64 channels of 192 then i shoudl be able to get htat. this paradigm of the division between teh two is an old one. It's dying. let go.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 03-20-2010, 12:10 PM

I would hope that even if one has previously invested in a fading technology, one would be enthusiastic about others (his peers) not having to be caught up on the same outdated path. I have many times over invested in current technologies only to see them pass. My original analog studio required over a half million just to open the doors. That does not make me angry with the MBox. We need to learn to embrace change.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 PM

My final "analog" studio (mid 90's) was ADAT's and a Mackie 8 bus console.
Only 6 or 7 years later the ADATS sold for penny's on the dollar.
Time and techno marches on.

Believe it or not, I WANT PT/Avid/Digi to succeed. Painful as it may be, they're going to have to change their offerings to do so... that of course is only my opinion.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post

Believe it or not, I WANT PT/Avid/Digi to succeed. Painful as it may be, they're going to have to change their offerings to do so... that of course is only my opinion.
I think you know, that opinion is shared by many.

I never had to buy ADATs I did however rent a few for clients.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Wasn't ADATs for me but DA88|38's which I still have 6 of & a Mackie D8B that is still in use...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-20-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I would hope that even if one has previously invested in a fading technology, one would be enthusiastic about others (his peers) not having to be caught up on the same outdated path. I have many times over invested in current technologies only to see them pass. My original analog studio required over a half million just to open the doors. That does not make me angry with the MBox. We need to learn to embrace change.
I sure am pissed that my $1000 i7 slave pc smokes the pants off of my $3000 G4.

It never ceases to amaze me how people lose perspective on this stuff. My view is always, "Cool, now I can do this without having to spend thousands of dollars on more of what I bought a few years ago..." It seems so many people look at innovation like it's not going to help them since it's not as expensive as the previous technology. It's like they're expecting a 10 year old car to still be worth what you paid for it new, or to be better than a brand new car because a brand new car of the same type doesn't have as high of a price tag.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary to constantly ride the bleeding edge, unless it's going to help you go farther. My gear and software at the moment is pretty current, but I held on to my mix system for a long time because it worked. My car has 170k miles on it but it still works fine for me and I'm sure it will for several more years.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Amazingly enough, the lightpipe connection has still stuck all these years. Glad it was that and not the Elco connector.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Exclamation Re: Attention Avid Audio: Where do I send the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I hate to interrupt, but I have some serious and hopefully good news - but I need some help and so I'm turning to you for it.

We have addressed the white noise with a fix, however we don't have any solid in-house repro cases with which to test it, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in getting an updater from us, giving it a go and letting us know if you experience any further issues.

Here's the email I just sent:

Dear Digi Tech Support:

Per your comments on the DUC (which I just now found, buried in the middle of a thirty some odd page thread, where I was searching for ANY news / updates after yet ANOTHER annoying / painful / embarrassing / costly episode with the infamous white noise bursts):

I hate to interrupt, but I have some serious and hopefully good news - but I need some help and so I'm turning to you for it.

We have addressed the white noise with a fix, however we don't have any solid in-house repro cases with which to test it, so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in getting an updater from us, giving it a go and letting us know if you experience any further issues.

We understand the nature of what we're asking you to do and so we only want participants that have a genuine interest in testing this and who are at least passingly familiar with testing so we can get as solid info as possible.

If you are interested and able to test it this weekend. please send and email with your name, email address and configuration information so we can send you the proper CS installer.

Please put 'CS2 testing' in the subject.

Thanks in advance for your help - you're doing me a big favor..!

I'll gladly try ANYTHING if it will help get rid of the white noise bursts! I'm in here (the studio) all weekend - if you get this, PLEASE shoot it out to me.

Computer Configuration:

Athlon 64 4200 X2
Asus A8N-SLI motherboard
4 GB RAM
WD, Segate and Maxtor internal 7200 RPM HDDs (IDE C, SATA data drives)

Pro Tools HD 8.0.3 cs1
2X 96 interfaces
HD2 Accel PCI-x

Thanks,

Phil

Phil O'Keefe
Sound Sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA
(909) 489-2361
Site Administrator / Forum Moderator: www.harmony-central.com
Contributing writer, EQ Magazine, Keyboard, Magazine, etc. etc.

It's probably too late now for you folks to get it in time to get anything back from you this weekend, and it REALLY would have been nice if this had been posted in one of the news / announcement sections of the forums instead of hidden near the end of a thirty some odd page thread, but I went ahead and sent it out anyway, because hope springs eternal...

...but my patience won't. I'm REALLY getting tired of this issue, and if I can help in any way, I'll be happy to do so. But if it isn't fixed soon, I will be spreading the word to everyone, via every avenue available to me, as loudly and as often as I can manage. I have already placed notices up on three different Harmony Central forums strongly advising people to AVOID "upgrading" to 8.0.3 due to this problem.

Sorry for the anger, but I'm tired of losing time, effort, money and clients over this, while risking hearing and equipment damage. It's crippling my studio, my business, and livelihood.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I have a good $25,000 invested in hardware synths from years gone by. They are all in storage collecting dust and have been for years now. One $200 VI can do more than all of them combined. Technology advances, and I embrace it like many others.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Here's the email I just sent:

Dear Digi Tech Support:

Per your comments on the DUC (which I just now found, buried in the middle of a thirty some odd page thread, where I was searching for ANY news / updates after yet ANOTHER annoying / painful / embarrassing / costly episode with the infamous white noise bursts):
Thanks for bringing this up. I just posted a news update on my first post along with a time dated news header in the title of the thread.
Quote:
I'll gladly try ANYTHING if it will help get rid of the white noise bursts! I'm in here (the studio) all weekend - if you get this, PLEASE shoot it out to me.
Shoot me a private email.

Quote:
But if it isn't fixed soon, I will be spreading the word to everyone, via every avenue available to me, as loudly and as often as I can manage. I have already placed notices up on three different Harmony Central forums strongly advising people to AVOID "upgrading" to 8.0.3 due to this problem.

Sorry for the anger, but I'm tired of losing time, effort, money and clients over this, while risking hearing and equipment damage. It's crippling my studio, my business, and livelihood.
Send me those links also.

Shane

**Stay "somewhat" on topic hobo's...or at least try(I do understand many are bumping and keeping the thread alive).

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Closed Thread