Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Still no way to turn off the Command key snapping things to Grid?

I feel like my speed in Pro Tools has been greatly diminished by this "feature" ever since it was implemented and I really wish I could turn it off.

In the edit window, while I'm drawing my selection and I want to perform any keyboard shortcut that involves the Command key, like selecting a trim or selector tool, my thoughtful selection invariably gets borked and I have to re-adjust it.

I also liked that I used to be able to just hold Command to make double sure I was really in slip mode (even if I probably already was) increasing the confidence of my slip edit, without having to gaze up at the tool indicator in the upper left corner.

This new behavior is such a time waster. I feel like I used to be able to fly in Pro Tools and now my wings are clipped.

If there's already a way to turn this off, please tell me if I missed it.

PS: Also, is it me, or does Pro Tools now require you to wait until it is done thinking about where your mouse is when you release your mouse button when using the trim tool? Is this new? I don't remember it being so laggy... Now, quickly switching directions with your mouse after releasing your click on a trim action results in the region being trimmed where your mouse is a shortly AFTER you actually released it.

Last edited by scottmckay; 10-24-2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: English
Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Still no way to turn off the Command key snapping things to Grid?

YES!!!!!! To ALL of this!!!!

I absolutely hate that the Command Key messes up my selection, and if there's a way to shut it off, PLEASE, somebody let me (us) know!!

And double YES to the 'sticky mouse' thing... Drives me absolutely bonkers, and I'm sure that it's linked to the slow-as-molasses, bug-ridden GUI in ProTools that slows down to a crawl when there's thousands of edits (yeah, Beat Detective...).

Please, Avid, we love y'all, now fix this will ya? And the Group Bug too, eh?
XO
Old 10-25-2018, 01:05 AM

Totally HATE the command snapping Grid thing as well. Really really really hate it. Who ordered that?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:51 AM

Totally agree.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmckay View Post
PS: Also, is it me, or does Pro Tools now require you to wait until it is done thinking about where your mouse is when you release your mouse button when using the trim tool? Is this new? I don't remember it being so laggy... Now, quickly switching directions with your mouse after releasing your click on a trim action results in the region being trimmed where your mouse is a shortly AFTER you actually released it.
I've noticed this too. It's been rather sporadic, so I just thought I was being a bit lazy with my mousing, etc. Good to know it's not just me, I guess.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:16 PM

this is the worst "feature" they've put in lately. its been a while now and I cannot get used to it as there is no visual indication of what mode you're in. it should at least change the cursor or something.

I've been re-arranging the top edit mode box to be in the center of the screen so I can (kinda) see that I'm in slip to let me know not to touch command. but it constantly catches me and I have yet to ever want it to behave as they implemented (i.e. wanting a key to make it grid when I'm in slip.) when I'm in Slip I want it to STAY IN SLIP no matter where my hand is.

im convinced no one in the beta department actually makes a living speed-editing otherwise they would know not to mess with keys between versions. there is no way in hell that customers asked for this change, let alone make it permanent.

apparently ideascale is no more. anyone else know how else to make it known that this feature SUCKS? speed editing is what makes PT what it is in my opinion. And you cannot mess with key commands and shortcuts that have been in play for 10+ yrs without messing with people's workflow!

again- WHO asked for this feature? and WHY??? most of us use big ass monitors nowadays, and to have to keep looking at what mode I'm in does nothing but slow you down.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:47 AM

+1
Old 01-27-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
im convinced no one in the beta department actually makes a living speed-editing otherwise they would know not to mess with keys between versions.
+10000. I've been in slow-motion editing purgatory since they introduced this.

AVID are you listening? Can we have an option to turn this off?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmckay View Post
Hey Scott, what are your system specs? I've been having this ever since upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.6 and Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.12.

I've been told by Avid it's an issue with the Mac Pro 5,1 (my system) but I'm not so sure. I've also been told by Avid that Pro Tools isn't actually optimised for screen resolutions above 1080p.

Reading between the lines it looks as if Avid haven't optimised Pro Tools to work with the new Metal API that Apple introduced in El Captian.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24

Last edited by the.engineer; 01-27-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 PM

With regard to the sluggishness, I'm now on a 2018 MacBook Pro, Mojave 10.14. I know my system is not qualified, but I've noticed this on qualified systems with High Sierra as well.

Last edited by scottmckay; 01-28-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Topical re-write.