Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2020, 03:37 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 and Ableton Live together?

I’m coming to the end of the road with Native Instruments Maschine. Too many showstopping bugs, the latest being broken separate outputs in Pro Tools.

I already have Abelton Live 10 Suite and I’m really enjoying the creative tools, Eurorack integration, the Drumrack workflow, clip launching (which I was faking in Maschine Jam).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using it concurrently with Pro Tools? How well is it working?

I’m thinking of sync’ing Live running on my MacBook Pro via MTC (Pro Tools as master) with at least 16 tracks of audio piped into a spare Digi 192 interface. Or maybe a Dante Virtual Soundcard on the MBP piped into the new MTRX Studio?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 and Ableton Live together?

I'm not running them together. I use Live for songwriting, then I export wav files to Pro Tools for further editing and mix. I'm a heavy Omnisphere user, and it would tax my machine too much to run Live and PT together.

It a great combination though.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 01-26-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
I'm not running them together. I use Live for songwriting, then I export wav files to Pro Tools for further editing and mix. I'm a heavy Omnisphere user, and it would tax my machine too much to run Live and PT together.

It a great combination though.

tg
Thanks tg

That’s pretty much what I’m doing at the moment. But it’s getting to be a pain moving to and from PT all the time in my case.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:10 AM

If you’re just using built in Ableton effects and instruments, then it might be worth trying it in Rewire mode into PT.

You can run separate outs to separate ins in PT...

Depends on your exact workflow (some ways of working are a bit flakey, some are fine)

It’s quite an elegant solution in a lot of respects.

BTW..... totally feel you regarding Maschine.
I kept going back to it, and have finally given in on it....

In many ways Ableton is a much better solution than Maschine, and it also fills in a few of the gaps in PT quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 01-26-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
If you’re just using built in Ableton effects and instruments, then it might be worth trying it in Rewire mode into PT.

You can run separate outs to separate ins in PT...

Depends on your exact workflow (some ways of working are a bit flakey, some are fine)

It’s quite an elegant solution in a lot of respects.

BTW..... totally feel you regarding Maschine.
I kept going back to it, and have finally given in on it....

In many ways Ableton is a much better solution than Maschine, and it also fills in a few of the gaps in PT quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I thought about Rewire but hasn’t it been abandoned? If it still works now I’d be worried about compatibility moving forward if it’s deadware. Even Reason 11 doesn’t support it anymore now they’ve done an AU/VST version (no AAX) and it’s not available to download at resaonstudios.com. I’ve also had issues with Rewire overloading one core in the past (I don’t think it ever had multicore support.)

Agreed Abelton is much better than Maschine. I wouldn’t want to mix in it or track drums though! I can’t see PT ever having Live’s MIDI devices, a Drum Rack equivalent, clip launching etc. so it would be great to get it running as a sidecar to PT.