Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2020, 08:55 PM

Default Small session with old, large, unstable session icon.. New icon possible?

Hello all,
Long time user, new forum member.

I have some very old, large (20mb) session icons that are starting to crash often. They only contain 500mb of audio but have been used for many hours on and off over a few years. They were originally created in PT 8, but are now in PT 12.8.

I would like to transfer everything to a new session that is stable.

I have lots of automation, routing and settings that I would like to keep without having to bounce down automation, rebuild the tracks one by one, etc.

I tried creating a template in PT 8 but it wasn't any smaller.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Small session with old, large, unstable session icon.. New icon possible?

Hi, welcome to DUC.

What is a session icon? You mean the session file?

Try opening a new session and doing an import. Selecting only what you want brought across. Make sure you are copying content into the new session folder.

At some point you may have to consolidate stuff.

A 20 MB session file does not tell anybody here there is a a problem, we can't guess, and I'd focus on seeing if you can fix the actual crashes/bugs and not fixate on any file or session size.

You do have archived backups right? If things are really bad go back to the last working backup you have. Then maybe try importing any updates into that, testing as you go.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-07-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Small session with old, large, unstable session icon.. New icon possible?

Hi, Thanks Darryl,

Yes, I meant session file. I understand import and session backup files but was hoping there was a way to not lose the very time consuming vocal and other trim gain automation I have done, as well as all the complex routing, sends, etc.

It would probably take days to rebuild by hand in a new session.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:57 PM

So start by just try import everything into a session... That *is* the way, is that better or not? If not then backups/archives...