Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Default Behringer UM2 and Pro Tools First no sound

Hi,
My specs: Wind 10 Pro, v1809, OS build 17763.684; i7-5930k cpu; 32k ram; ASUS X-99 Pro mobo, ASUS GTX 1060 (6gig) gpu.

I cannot get sound to play from PT, or get my UM2 and/or PT to play through my speakers.
I can get my Bass to play through the headphone jack on the UM2 when the Direct Monitor is active, otherwise no sound there either.
I have ASIO4ALL installed.
The Behringer USB WDM Audio 2.8.40 is an option in Sound and I can get it to play through the headphones when plugged into the UM2 after I run the troubleshooter for Win 10 sound.
I see signal within PT when I start a new project but cannot get sound to play there either, but will see active signal with obvious latency.
Truly, im bloody stumped and do not think it is the hardware, so can someone please give me a solution....

PS: the Playback Engine option within PT will nearly always crash the program when I try to change settings from within a session...I have to delete the files in AppData to restart the PT from scratch and can go again.

Seriously need some help peoples...
Cheers,
Denn
Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Behringer UM2 and Pro Tools First no sound

Take a look at this tutorial video for setting up PTF with your Behringer interface.
https://youtu.be/dqlpLBYIyVU

Also make sure no other apps are using your interface when starting PTF.

System Details
Old 12-03-2019, 04:54 PM

HI junkgear,
Thanks for trying, but well past this persons efforts, as they dont deal with sound issues. It expects it to work 'out of the box' but it isnt.

As I said, I can hear my bass with headphones on and plugged into the UM2 WITH the Direct Monitor active.

When changing the Win 10 payback options from either the Behringer USB WDM 2.4.80 or the Realtek HD Audio - I will get sound on my headphones from the former or desktop speakers from the later - for normal Windows sound IE youtube..........but nothing is playing from PT regardless of either of these settings being active.

But I can hear my bass and see the active signal within PT, although PT is not playing any other sounds from our projects or the Click track when I start a new project to test the sound, and therefore is also not actually playing my Bass, its just the UM2 sound like normal.

The mhz are all set to 44.1 in PT and Wid 10 Sound configurations.

This is what's needing fixing ASAP, as I have already scoured what I could find before posting here mate.

Cheers,
Denn

EDIT: So i have gotten sound through my speakers by plugging in a Y-splitter RCA to 3.5m into my MOBO line-in (blue) and setting it to default instead of the UM2 in Recording within the sounds options. Still nothing coming from PTF though....

Last edited by Denn Lean; 12-03-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Well, direct monitor just takes the input signal and internally routes it to an output in the audio interface, so PTF is not in the equation there.

You mention ASIO4All, so make sure your inputs and outputs are assigned properly in that driver.

WDM is different than ASIO, so the fact that it works in Windows (WDM) doesn’t mean that it will work the same in PTF. PTF uses the ASIO driver, so that’s where you need to make sure everything is configured properly.

Also make sure the other tracks, that you don’t hear, are routed to the proper outputs of your interface.

If nothing works, post some screenshots of your playback engine settings, input/output settings and your session, mainly the input and output assignments for the tracks.

System Details
Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Hi junkgear

Direct Monitor not an issue, knew what that is already.
ASIO4ALL v2.14 has no options to change I/O options, other than HD Audio Interface 1-2/3-4/5-6/7-8, which are not covered by the Behringer USB WDM 2.8.40.

When you start PTF for the first time, the playback engine options are:

1st - Windows Audio Device = this has an Input Device drop down bar, with noting to choose from, except literally a NONE option with a tick next to it.
It will chose the sound options of Realtek under Output Device, though.
The Default Output is greyed out and Speakers 1-2 are in the bar.
This options will also make PTF close due to no engine selected and is locked at 44.1 khz.

2nd - ASIO4ALL v2 = this has no Input Device options drop down bar, only a Default Output, which is HD Audio Output 1-2/3-4/5-6/7-8.
It also allows for sample rates of 44.1, 48, 82.2 and 96 khz.
This option will make sound come from the project that I load and can hear the other tracks uploaded by my band mates, but nothing in signal for my bass.

3rd - Behringer USB Audio = this also has no Input Device options drop down bar, and the Default Output is greyed out, with Out 1-2 in the bar.
It has 44.1 or 48 khz options.
This option will show my Bass in a new track added to a session green signal, but is not coming from PTF but through the UM2 headphone only.

To update troubleshooting attempts:
If ASIOS4ALL is selected then I can hear the tracks through PTF but not record or see any signal bar within the track associated to my Bass as the I/O options do not have the UM2 Line 2 (Mono) as an option, which is what is the correct option for the UM2 Inst 2 that my lead is plugged into.
If the UM2 is selected then I cannot hear the other tracks play at all no matter what I/O options for output I select for each individual track.
There is no MASTER I/O for everything for some stupid reason.
Both these options I can hear my bass through headphones and/or speakers if I plug in the RCA Red/White at the rear of the UM2 to my Blue Line In on the Mobo, but again, this is not due to PTF.

Im am truly stumped as to what is going on, and Im not a noob to PC's or to AV....

Last edited by Denn Lean; 12-03-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:00 AM

So if you have ASIO4ALL selected in the playback engine and go to Setup -> I/O, do you see any available inputs when selecting the Input tab?

If not, I would guess that ASIO4ALL is not configured properly.

System Details
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Hi junkgear,

That specific option is, for some utterly unfathomable reason, not in PTF, hence why im in this forum and not the regular PT one mate...this i learnt from scouring these pages prior to posting.

I have no idea why PT would want to limit such an important function for someone like me to test his equipment and see value in upgrading...its an absolutely, and ill be blunt, idiotic change made in 2016 from my research over night, by who ever made the decision.

$30 US is not an acceptable amount to pay for a subscription when converted into Australian dollars, as we loose 30% in our dollar, to test if my new interface would benefit from doing so.
PT need to have an actual Australian pricing matrix like they do for the EU and Canada and Japan, etc. which reflects costs in Australian economic terms.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Well junkgear,

I continued to mess with the ASIO4ALL v2.14 and I have somehow managed to get everyone playing through the same output.
Its a convolved mess between the Audio Interface and this ASIO4ALL ...driver, virtual sound card?? i dont know what to call it really...and Pro Tools First of which the generic Settings>hardware or >playback device options that most people are considering the primary source of solutions..... these need to be attended to outside PTF beforehand...which the guitarist thought of last night, and then I could also use them in PTF....but there is testing with it on off etc also so nothing rock solid for now.
I will post a detailed breakdown once i get a few more things understood, as latency became a problem but I think ive fixed that now....

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Denn
Old 01-16-2020, 01:48 PM

Hi,
I have similar problem. Cannot get any sound out of PTF. Input is ok, can record voice but playback is not working.
My system is Win10, PTF 2019.5.0, HW is Behringer U-phoria UM2, driver is Behringer USB AUDIO.

When switching to ASIO4ALL driver, I can hear the recording, but cannot use UM2 to record.

How can I get sound out with Behringer UM2 and Behringer USB AUDIO driver?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (45.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:08 AM

Hey! Did u find a fix for this?
Have the same problem and been trying to fix it for weeks without sucsess!

Rly going crazy over here!

Any tips or fix would be great! Thanks in advance!