Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Re: So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Excellent post, Ghost, and I couldn't agree more with your finding in daily work with Structure.
I probably am missing the obvious, but can you please tell me what folder I should put an alias of all my patches in so I can use that drop down folder like you in the menu "add patch". All I have is "empty patch". For example: user>library>application support> etc
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Command+alt drag, your WHOLE Structure lib. into this location

/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/AIR/Structure/Favorites

That will create an alias of your whole Structure library.
From now on, everything you add to your main lib. will automatically appear there. No need to make new aliases every time you add news to your library.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 AM

I understand what you're saying, but honestly, as a longtime beta tester, and a generally perfectly happy one, i will never understand why my complaints re EXS convert were essentially ignored during Structure beta. And I offered my analysis repeatedly and with evidence. And it's not just that the conversion doesn't work. Structure is totally unable to search a hard drive system for audio files. Everytime you attempt an EXS conversion, you have to manually direct Structure to the folder of audio files. Every single conversion, one at a time. And then it doesn't work. And this is not fixed by including a folder in "favorites" or anything else. I like the guys at AIR, some of them have become my friends. But how can this be allowed to be released, with a patently false claim and no "fine print", even? As a tester trying to do good things, it was, and is, an incredibly frustrating topic. On other AIR tests, Velvet, Transfuser, I did not have these issues or feelings.

AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

I'd like to say a few things - first, we hear you loud and clear! In fact, there aren't too many things that we don't hear you on. If I can, again, step outside my 'official' capacity at Digi and give my perspective on things like this - I've worked at pro audio companies, distributors and done retail for long enough to see every side of the coin. The reality is that everyone is working with limited resources and trying to make the most out of them. That sometimes has harsh consequences - I'm sure you've all seen enough of the 'product announcements' happen and 6 months, a year, 2 years later they're still vaporware. The speed at which technology changes, at which prices change for components, at how quickly fabricators can come and go - all of this plays a huge part in what companies are able to do. There are often setbacks that can't be planned for - for every good idea that makes it to market, there's probably 2 or more others that were in various stages that get canned because they've missed the curve, the technology has changed or fabrication has to change so much that it delays the release or makes it a non-viable product. Throw the competition in there and a sagging economy, not to mention the actual pro-audio market is tiny in comparison to almost anything else and it paints a picture of what anyone in this market is up against. Digidesign is considered the 'big dog', yet we aren't even considered a 'large company' (which is over 1000 employees). We don't have unlimited resources - in fact, we have a bit less than we did not too long ago, as some of you may have heard.

Anyways - my point being that we know about the problems, we are actively working to address them and, yes, there have been delays. We apologize for that. Just know that we aren't ignoring anyone, nor are we ignorant of what needs to be done. We're working on fixing as many things as we can, as quickly as we can and, hopefully, you understand that.

By all means - keep letting us know what's not working for you, but please keep it civil.

Deal?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Command+alt drag, your WHOLE Structure lib. into this location

/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/AIR/Structure/Favorites

That will create an alias of your whole Structure library.
From now on, everything you add to your main lib. will automatically appear there. No need to make new aliases every time you add news to your library.
Awesome, thx Ghost! Very helpful.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Ghost I've been playing around and I seem to have this thing working in a far simpler way. I drag my EXS patch to NI K2 and it imports it.Then I save it from NI K2 as Patch & Samples, then I just drag the patch into Structure and it's working every time perfectly.

I've pulled some seriously big and complex patches in and everyone is working as it should. So some may try that without the need for any conversion software.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
Ghost I've been playing around and I seem to have this thing working in a far simpler way. I drag my EXS patch to NI K2 and it imports it.Then I save it from NI K2 as Patch & Samples, then I just drag the patch into Structure and it's working every time perfectly.

I've pulled some seriously big and complex patches in and everyone is working as it should. So some may try that without the need for any conversion software.
Hi Russ, BTW, I watched your videos. Great initiative. Kudos.

The "Problem" with that way is the following

1) Doing that on 1000 patches(Like when you want to convert your whole library, it takes forever to go and hit Save in K2's menu every time. If you do a batch import, K2 will only reference the samples after batch re-saving it. And you cannot do a batch re-save WITH samples in K2, unfortunately.
But it DOES work if your would only need to convert a few patches. But not for Bulk import, well unless you make some kind of Monster Quickey

2) My vienna library showed weird behavior after doing it that way. Some key groups were missing completely.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
the realities of staying in business can sometimes foil even the best-laid plans.
But many of us bought Structure ****ONLY for exs import*** I have two FULL copies. Wouldn't it be unacceptable for Digi to say to the HD people:

"I know it's been TWO years since you bought your HD rig, but we really are working hard on getting the PT software to work with your Accel PCIe cards. Just keep using Logic or Digital performer for now."

This is just a smaller scale version of that scenario. I know many of you who CAN actually use Structure don't see it this way, but for the EXS-only user, this 2 year old Structure situation is almost unbelievable.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 AM
AIR Music Technology

Hey folks, just on a quick side note: thanks to the input of many of you and especially 25ghosts and Russ from the AIR Blog (http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspot.com/) we got lots of useful (flawy) patches and bug reports which have enabled us to thoroughly investigate the EXS issue. Many thanks to all those of you, who made this possible by constructive, pragmatic feedback.

Relaxo, many thanks to you too, as you kept bringing up this feature again and again. I've personally skimmed through all your reports regarding Structure on the DUC and can assure you that everything landed on our to-do list.

Keep it productive and fair, everybody!

Thanks,

Wolfram Knelangen
Product Manager
AIR
Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 AM

Wolfram, I believe that you've WANTED to fix exs import since before the release of Structure. Really am sorry to hassle you guys so much (relaxo is a hippy musician who actually detests having to bug people to death) and I don't hassle you about anything minor, but this is not a minor bug, it's a bug that KILLS Structure for many of us. I'm really excited to use Structure some day soon hopefully.

Once again, while your in here, thanks AIR and Digi for all your other AMAZING VIs that have changed my life by putting all these beautiful sounding and powerful new instruments in my hands every day.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:42 AM

Any updates?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Just a note; I bought Translator Pro at the beginning of the year to convert my large Giga libraries to Structure. It kind of worked, but there were quite a few problems in the translations. There was a lot of back and forth with tech support over the last few months trying to fix these problems and when I was ready to return the program since it didn't function as advertised, Garth (the head of Chicken Systems) contacted me and assured me he would handle it. I agreed to wait a little longer and I'm very happy I did. A new build (71) was released on Friday and it works beautifully. Every bug and problem I'd reported was addressed and apparently many more as they've been coordinating handling these problems directly with Digi.

If anyone is looking to convert Giga format libraries to Structure this now is the easiest way to go....