Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Will Avid Ever Make Midi A Top Priority?!

Will Avid ever MAKE midi a PRIORITY?! Like hopefully for Pro Tools 11?!

No matter what I record midi info never plays back my part like originally played it. Nine out of ten time it's ALWAYS out of time and all over the place. And I have to hear Logic users GLOAT how their programs handles midi beautifully!

Also Im playing thru a Triton keyboard. Im playing thru LASS Lite. I recorded some parts with sustain pedal on some parts off on the same track. I did record with midi merge on. I have it off now upon play back.

I have a VFP 1/25 sustain pedal made in Italy. On the back of the pedal it has a switch that says PS -15 and PS 10. When I have the switch on the PS- 15 side it always plays every part on this track with the note sustain going on even though I recorded it only to be in certain spots.

But if I set switch to PS-10 and while upon play back, if I step on sustain pedal and hold it down it will play the note sustain, when I release the sustain pedal it will play with out sustain going on. Why won't it play back exactly how I recorded it thru Pro Tools 10.3? I'm a PC I use windows 7 pro.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM

I would go thru and make sure all settings are correct on the korg and in PT

Many keyboards have extra zones outputting as well as the recorded data - it's worth a check

FWIW - I really have no issues with the midi - but I'm using a USB for all midi data and not the midi cables
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Will Avid Ever Make Midi A Top Priority?!

common issues can be having latency compensation on, plugins on the master fader, or really high buffer settings.

sustain pedal issues, not my area of expertise

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Wish I had some insight, but midi has worked great for me since LE6.1. Using it now with a Roland TD10 kit via midi into the 003 ports, and 2 keyboards(1 daisy-chained thru a VOE midi drawbar box for controlling DB-33) via midi cables to a MOTU FastLane USB interface. It all works and returns just what I put in(yup....reproduces every mistake). FWIW, when recording, I always use a 64 buffer setting(as low as you can go as some interfaces only allow for 128) and NEVER have active plugins on the master track(both of which were covered by guitardom).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
and returns just what I put in(yup....reproduces every mistake....
Nicely said - I always tell people that I can play keyboards but I am not a keyboard player - which in reality says a whole heck of a lot
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 AM

I wish I could help you with your sustain pedal but I haven't used the gear you're describing. I'm not so sure it's about Pro Tools lacking in MIDI though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
Will Avid ever MAKE midi a PRIORITY?! Like hopefully for Pro Tools 11?!
They did. For Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 6, if I remember correctly. There are a few things you've got to recognize: Pro Tools started as an audio application, not a MIDI one like Cubase and Logic. This is probably why many find Pro Tools to be lacking in MIDI, yet superior in audio editing.

The second thing is that Pro Tools is a big market, more than just MIDI composing. Every major release you can look at the new features and pretty much go "OK, so it was the post guys turn this time", or "yup, now us musicians are getting the good stuff". Sure, there are always new features for both but the focus tends to be on one. At least that's how I see it.

MIDI is working for me since Pro Tools 8 (you should've tried working only in the piano roll... Holy crap that was annoying!) but I know what you're saying, there are still improvements to be made. If it has anything to do with your sustain pedal, I do not know.

Either way, good luck!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM

You will find some editing of midi and creative manipulation of midi if you look under the hood. I think it is a solid implementation of midi but there are features for sure that Logic and even Cubase has that Pro Tools doesn't. My midi through an Audiomedia 192 pci while clocking to Apogee is almost flawless. I get a stuck note maybe 1% of the time but that could be my cheesy Radium keyboard not out puting an note-off. The VIs works great and I find it graceful and easier to use than Cubase when it comes to multi-channel VIs. You can aux out or midi out your channels. The control(pc) shift N with other key controls makes track setup a breeze. The track hiding is so clever in PT. Also tricks like playing random notes and constraining them to a certain key is done with the key lane. Extremely efficient. PT has a few hidden features in the real time parameters but some fun stuff could be added like a midi arpeggiator or something.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 AM

Default I need help making midi work properly n pro tools 10.3.3

Hi

Im appealing this to the real Avid tech guys that roam here from time to time. I can already see this is gonna go ignored from everyone else. So please Avid tech people help.

I badly need help on setting my midi right in pro tools 10.3.3 once and for all. I cant take playing a part on my real keyboard and it always plays back out of time and I have to painstakingly nudge notes back and forth.

I hear from time to time musicians here saying there midi works great. What am I doing wrong or not aware of inside pro tools settings?

I'll list my specs but this is really a pro tools internal settings thing I believe. I need someone to please take the necessary time to teach me what settings need to be made within pro tools to make midi play back just like I recorded it live.

Im playing thru a triton music work station sampler keyboard. In this case Im using Kotakt 5 full version Chris Heins Horns.

I have windows 7 pro
i7 CPU 950@ 3.07 Ghz
18 gigs of ram
service pack 1
Mbox pro 2
Rosetta 200

Thank you
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Default Re: I need help making midi work properly n pro tools 10.3.3

Have you tried experimenting with the included VI's to compare? I use MiniGrand, DB-33 and Addictive drums here, and have no timing issues, so I wonder if its an issue with Kontact?(which has often not played well with PT).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Default Re: I need help making midi work properly n pro tools 10.3.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Have you tried experimenting with the included VI's to compare? I use MiniGrand, DB-33 and Addictive drums here, and have no timing issues, so I wonder if its an issue with Kontact?(which has often not played well with PT).
Hi no I havent but I can reassure you its NOT a Kontakt issue. This happens no matter what plugin I use.

And if Pro Tools is not user friendly with Kontakt. This doesn’t surprise me one bit. Again it shows how Avid thru the YEARS will NOT go out of its way to make its competitors work efficiently with Pro Tools. When will Avid wake up and get with the real world. We all know here that we want to use what we want to use in the free market. Not be forced to buy Avids products cause they are less buggy with pro tools in few cases, done on purpose for this reason. And most importantly we all want to buy and work with products that we all feel are BEST sound quality. After all, isn't achieving the best sound is what we are all after in the first place... Sorry Avid your plugins are NOT superior, not even close imho. The say they are I will be the first in line to buy buy buy from you... The more you go out of your way to keep pro tools buggy, lag, ect with your competitors plugins, the more I despise you. Keeping it real like it or not.
Ive used minigrand too and still expierence the same problems.

Its amazing to me how no one else here has any sollutions.

Thanks for caring and sharing.