Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Default Advice/Suggestion on Waves Plugins - Overwhelmed by Choice

Now that I've updated to Waves IR-1 9.2, I get this email telling me I have a voucher to get whatever other Waves plugin I want up to the value of the voucher, which is about $85. So, I'm looking at everything they have up to $200, since the voucher would be virtually 50% off at that. Of course, anything less is okay too!

The problem is: what do I get? I don't know...too many options!!

I was thinking maybe the REDD emulator. But then some of the vocal stuff looks good...I don't know. The ONLY Waves product I have right now is the IR-1.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Old 10-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Advice/Suggestion on Waves Plugins - Overwhelmed by Choice

Are you a guitarist, vocalist? Are you into mixing? Post? Start there and you might have your answer:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
Are you a guitarist, vocalist? Are you into mixing? Post? Start there and you might have your answer:)

I don't do post. But work with mixing, guitars, vocalists, electronic etc.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 AM

The API stuff is nice.

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 AM

Look at the JJP collection with the Puigchild and Puigtec. As I understand it, these were modeled on his own Fairchild and Pultec EQ and they are stellar. This Pultec does top end and air unlike most any other EQ(and the Puigtec version is really "silky"). The Fairchild plugin sounds better than any other I have used(not sure if it matches the UAD version as I have not heard that).

Then again, if you plan on doing mastering, Waves has some excellent plugins like L2, L3 and C6)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Keep in mind the limitations of the voucher. It can be used for up to 25% of a plugin, or up to 50% of a bundle. So you can't buy a $100 plugin and have $85 of it covered.

If you have a limit of $200, considering their specials right now, I would probably go for the Manny Marroquin Signature bundle. I've heard great things about it, and it has some unique character to it that will certainly be different from any of the stock Avid plugins. It's $199, and it's a bundle, so you can get the full usage of your voucher.

Also, you can use the voucher through a dealer, and their prices are often better. Wavesuniverse.com and audiodeluxe.com are great.

However the voucher may also cover less because of the discounts, as it's based on a percentage, so don't be alarmed by that. You still may come out ahead.

Also, keep in mind you can demo any of these.

If nothing appeals to you, you could wait and see what next month's specials are, since it's good for 60 or 90 days.

Also, they usually add more specials on the 15th of the month as well.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Look at the JJP collection with the Puigchild and Puigtec. As I understand it, these were modeled on his own Fairchild and Pultec EQ and they are stellar. This Pultec does top end and air unlike most any other EQ(and the Puigtec version is really "silky"). The Fairchild plugin sounds better than any other I have used(not sure if it matches the UAD version as I have not heard that).

Then again, if you plan on doing mastering, Waves has some excellent plugins like L2, L3 and C6)
The JJP Analog Legends collection is on sale at audiodeluxe.com for $149 with coupon fall2013 - great price. Same coupon - Renn Max Bundle for $151, MM collection $148. Buy all three. Plus the above comps albee listed are also on sale. They accept and process vouchers (in the upgrades menu), but it takes a little time for them to get back to you. If you haven't dealt with them before, don't get nervous - you'll get the discount codes.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
The problem is: what do I get? I don't know...too many options!!
Here are my Waves recommendations:

- C6
- GEQ
- SSL bundle
- API compressor
Old 10-07-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

No, I won't be doing any real mastering....not to be done at home unless in the company of a qualified adult! But thanks for the suggestion on JJP. I did look at those...look very good!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Keep in mind the limitations of the voucher. It can be used for up to 25% of a plugin, or up to 50% of a bundle. So you can't buy a $100 plugin and have $85 of it covered.

If you have a limit of $200, considering their specials right now, I would probably go for the Manny Marroquin Signature bundle. I've heard great things about it, and it has some unique character to it that will certainly be different from any of the stock Avid plugins. It's $199, and it's a bundle, so you can get the full usage of your voucher.

Also, you can use the voucher through a dealer, and their prices are often better. Wavesuniverse.com and audiodeluxe.com are great.

However the voucher may also cover less because of the discounts, as it's based on a percentage, so don't be alarmed by that. You still may come out ahead.

Also, keep in mind you can demo any of these.

If nothing appeals to you, you could wait and see what next month's specials are, since it's good for 60 or 90 days.

Also, they usually add more specials on the 15th of the month as well.
Thanks for all that info!