Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-26-2014, 06:44 AM

Default What happens if I DON'T upgrade to PT11 before December 31st?

Hey guys!
Trying to sift through over 2000 posts in the Licensing thread to find out information, but it's very hard to make sense of so many pages.

Basically, what I want to know, is if I'm going to be screwed by not upgrading before December 31st. I have PT10 currently and I will want to upgrade to PT11 soon. I simply don't have the money this week to be able to do the upgrade.

Does anyone know what happens after the 31st, when I want to upgrade to PT11?
Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 AM

Default Re: What happens if I DON'T upgrade to PT11 before December 31st?

This paragraph from the FAQ concerns me:

"Q: If my Pro Tools | Software upgrade/support plan expires and I want to upgrade Pro Tools later on, what are my options?
A: In 2015 you will have two options to get on an upgrade/support plan: 1) Take advantage of flexible licensing options (details on additional licensing options will be available in the coming months)
2) Purchase a new perpetual software license (full product) that includes a 12-month upgrade/support plan"

Where it says "Full Product", does that mean paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade to PT11, as if I'd never previously owned Pro Tools?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

The current offer terms and pricing expires at the end of this month (December 2014), but you will still be able to upgrade after that. Pricing has not been announced, but upgrades in 2015 will be less than the cost of full purchase.

I would like to give you a more definitive answer, but I simply don't have that information yet. I do know that if you purchase an upgrade to Pro Tools 11 in 2015, it would include free upgrades to any feature releases for 11 and the next version for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase of an upgrade/support plan.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
The current offer terms and pricing expires at the end of this month (December 2014), but you will still be able to upgrade after that. Pricing has not been announced, but upgrades in 2015 will be less than the cost of full purchase.

I would like to give you a more definitive answer, but I simply don't have that information yet. I do know that if you purchase an upgrade to Pro Tools 11 in 2015, it would include free upgrades to any feature releases for 11 and the next version for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase of an upgrade/support plan.
Am I correct in understanding that service contracts/upgrades will not be available for $199 during 2015?

I, and many others, have had an understanding that the $199 price would remain through 2015, and that purchasing prior to 12/31/2014 simply entitled one to an extra three months of support.

May I request that you clarify this as soon as possible, as a lot of users had been planning for the $199 service contract prices being available through 2015...which was based on information previously provided by Avid.

At this late date (and especially right after Christmas), if Avid does plan to raise the price from $199 on 01/01/2015, may I suggest that Avid extend the $199 price at least through 03/31/2015?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
May I request that you clarify this as soon as possible, as a lot of users had been planning for the $199 service contract prices being available through 2015...which was based on information previously provided by Avid.
Good catch - that's exactly how we read it.

Now they are aiming to scare people into sooner entry by not providing unambiguous info.

As Dr Phil would have said:
- how is that working for ya?
- customers are not prominent to be beat up like they used to...
Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
Good catch - that's exactly how we read it.

Now they are aiming to scare people into sooner entry by not providing unambiguous info.

As Dr Phil would have said:
- how is that working for ya?
- customers are not prominent to be beat up like they used to...
The original poster asked about upgrading from Pro Tools 10. You have stated a few times in your previous posts that you do not own Pro Tools, so I'm curious as to what specific upgrade you are asking about.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
The original poster asked about upgrading from Pro Tools 10. You have stated a few times in your previous posts that you do not own Pro Tools, so I'm curious as to what specific upgrade you are asking about.
I'm curious why you ignored Bill's (a ProTools owner) questions and only responded to the post about which you didn't feel the need to provide specifics. As an owner of many PT systems I'll put it out there again:

(from Bill)

"Am I correct in understanding that service contracts/upgrades will not be available for $199 during 2015?

I, and many others, have had an understanding that the $199 price would remain through 2015, and that purchasing prior to 12/31/2014 simply entitled one to an extra three months of support.

At this late date (and especially right after Christmas), if Avid does plan to raise the price from $199 on 01/01/2015, may I suggest that Avid extend the $199 price at least through 03/31/2015?"
Old 12-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

I can only state what I know, and that is what is on the Pro Tools Upgrade FAQ.

On the FAQ, it says this:
Quote:
Q. How can I save if I upgrade now?
A. We have lowered the price on almost ALL of our current upgrades, with savings of up to 60% off previous prices—and those didn’t include one year of Standard Support and Upgrades, which are now included. If you purchase and activate your software by December 31, 2014, we’ll extend your Avid upgrade/support plan through March 31, 2016. That’s up to 17 months instead of the usual 12, depending on when you purchase.
All of the other FAQs list prices for the current offer. I have personally not seen anything about future pricing being the same as the current offer.

That said, I would certainly think that future pricing for upgrades that are available beginning after the current offer ends would be announced at the time they are available. Again, I don't have that information, but hopefully next week we all will.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I can only state what I know, and that is what is on the Pro Tools Upgrade FAQ.

On the FAQ, it says this:

All of the other FAQs list prices for the current offer. I have personally not seen anything about future pricing being the same as the current offer.

That said, I would certainly think that future pricing for upgrades that are available beginning after the current offer ends would be announced at the time they are available. Again, I don't have that information, but hopefully next week we all will.
They had damn well better be available next week as that's cutting things a little too close for people to make a decision. 2015 prices should have been out beginning of this month.

QAPLA!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:20 PM

I thought the statement was that you get on a plan for the numbers given (200/600 or whatever) and if you do before the upcoming "deadline" you get 3 extra months of coverage in 2016. If you don't then you get 12 months total starting at the time of purchase. I saw nothing implying that the price would change during 2015, so at least I would assume it would remain the same (200/600 or whatever). And at the end of 2015 I believe the next deadline shows up. After that point I would expect prices to change.