Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-11-2002, 07:40 AM

Default Mac to PC questions???

I've run out of money and cant justify buying a brand new dual 867 mac (I have a 450 Mac at the moment). I'm used to both systems so I dont have a major bias (I program PC's for a living).

I can get a athlon xp 2200 for about 400UK and I'm hoping I can run both logic and Tools exactly the same as on my mac using my 001.

My questions are ....

is the latency exactly the same on a pc with the 001 as it is with the mac?

can I monitor with effects on the pc like I can do with my mac?

is it only the mcdsp plugins that arent avaliable on the pc?

does logic run the same using the digi 001 on the pc as it does on the mac?

do you still get dodgy midi timing with external instruments (i.e. my MPC) due to the Windows multi tasking commitments??

Will installing/uninstalling software on XP eventually lead to registry bloat, making me have to reinstall the os every so often??

Will I be able to add a good compressor + eq on 32 tracks in Tools and still have power left for delays/reverbs etc?

Will windows use the digi hardware to output sound (i.e system sounds, media player etc..)?
If so, does it allow for Tools to be running at the same time as windows systems sounds are being heard?

Is the 001 multi client?

are the asio drivers any good and do they offer the same latency as the Direct I/O does for logic?

When a program in XP crashes does it bring down the whole OS or is it quite stable in that respect?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Mac to PC questions???

Quote:
Originally posted by threesixty:
I've run out of money and cant justify buying a brand new dual 867 mac (I have a 450 Mac at the moment). I'm used to both systems so I dont have a major bias (I program PC's for a living).

I can get a athlon xp 2200 for about 400UK and I'm hoping I can run both logic and Tools exactly the same as on my mac using my 001.

My questions are ....

is the latency exactly the same on a pc with the 001 as it is with the mac?

Yes, I hardly ever go higher than 128 buffer size.

can I monitor with effects on the pc like I can do with my mac?

Yes

is it only the mcdsp plugins that arent avaliable on the pc?

No. There are many other Mac only plugs. But most of the important ones are available (Waves, Bombfactory, etc... ).

I'm not a logic user. But I do know that the digi001 uses the Direct I/O drivers in Logic's audio preferences so you can use all the in's and outs.

do you still get dodgy midi timing with external instruments (i.e. my MPC) due to the Windows multi tasking commitments??

I'm not a demanding Midi guy, but I us Sampletank in Protools and I don't notice any timing issues. Also, I don't think the Windows multitasking is a bad thing. I runs damn smooth for me.

Will installing/uninstalling software on XP eventually lead to registry bloat, making me have to reinstall the os every so often??

I'm not sure. I always use the system restore option if I want to go back how it was before I installed a lame program. You can always creat a backup disk, using Drive Image, of a clean install of Windows and all your important programs (Protools for example [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Will I be able to add a good compressor + eq on 32 tracks in Tools and still have power left for delays/reverbs etc?

Oh ya. This is the bonus about Windows. I have an AMD 2000 (1.666ghz) and I hardly ever worry about running out of juice!!

Will windows use the digi hardware to output sound (i.e system sounds, media player etc..)?
If so, does it allow for Tools to be running at the same time as windows systems sounds are being heard?

No, Digi uses the DAE engine for sound. Window does not recognize it. But Digi does have a downloadable Wave driver if you want.Then you will be able to heard the Windows sounds.

Is the 001 multi client?

?

are the asio drivers any good and do they offer the same latency as the Direct I/O does for logic?

I use the ASIO driver with Nuendo. It runs at 128 buffer. It works well for me, but alot of people are having problems (it is still a beta). The ASIO update should be out in a couple of weeks (lots of bug fixes I'm sure).

When a program in XP crashes does it bring down the whole OS or is it quite stable in that respect?

This is a major bonus about XP. No, if a program crashes, rarely will Windows crash. Well, for me anyway. XP is very well made (not to be comepared to Win98se). Even if Windows did crash (hardly ever!), it only take about 30 secs for my computer to reboot.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A quick note. Remember to check out the DUC for the Allen computer thread (I don't know how to link you there). There is some good info on building a trouble free PC. That's the nice thing about the Mac, it's all ready put together with good parts. Don't be fooled and cheap out on parts for your PC. Get the best everything you can afford (still very cheap anyway) and you'll be a happy PC user. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Jayman #9
Old 12-11-2002, 10:16 AM

Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have been using Norton Cleanup for this. Among other things, it searches through the registries and lets you delete registries that are no longer associated with any programs. It works nicely in 98se, haven't tried it in XP yet.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:06 AM

Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">... It could lead to bloat but there are many good utilities availiable. There are even some high quality freeware utilities for cleaning the registry. Norton Cleanup will work as well as a multitude of other software availiable. I personally like the program called System Mechanic.(it also can be set to clean up temporary files, internet history, It can be set to save certain cookies while deleting others. I found it easy to use and pretty self-explanetory to make special settings with.

Quote:
Will windows use the digi hardware to output sound (i.e system sounds, media player etc..) If so, does it allow for Tools to be running at the same time as windows systems sounds are being heard?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually I am not sure about your question... I use the audiomediaIII soundcard and I left the soundcard that was factory installed on my dell in it. I often run Finale2003 (a music notation program that plays back midi files) at the same time I am running Pro Tools. Since my audiomediaIII card doesn't have midi playback ability I have run a cable from my factory installed sound card to a mixer that also outputs audiomediaIII card. I can play both at the same time pause one switch between the two, and the like. I think you have to have enough of a powerful computer to do this. I think most reputable new computers have enough processing speed and ram that it should'nt be a problem.

... does that help answer that question at all?

Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with the others: WinXP is very well made. It never crashes on me. I think it is built on a different system than previous versions of Windows. (I am pretty sure I even saw some special settings in WinXP somewhere that allowed you to customize the way programs react if there is a problem and you need to reboot. though, Haven't messed with these setting myself.)

I can't help but mention that there is also another audio program I am extremely impressed with. That would be "WaveLab". It does cost some money but it is rock stable and yet full of a ton of efficient features as well as burning a perfect audio CD. I love to take the recorded results from Pro Tool sessions and bounce them to WaveLab.(Its audio montage feature is quite amazing).

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. With a few little tweaks I think you will be quite happy with WinXP running on a good machine.

GuitarEasley
Old 12-11-2002, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by threesixty:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">YES ... except that you have to disable the 001 wave driver & midi driver otherwise Logic will crash!! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Obviously you'll need another midi device to get midi IO happening with the 001.

Apart from that it works really well!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oz